incapacitating pelvic pain with no end in sight

From: International Adhesions Society (tracy.joslin@adhesions.org)
Wed Sep 15 22:34:54 2004

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf Of Tammy Taber Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 2:22 PM Subject: Re: incapacitating pelvic pain with no end in sight

Hello, my name is Tammy and I am a long time adhesions sufferer. My story is posted on the adhesions 'quilt' under Tammy Lynn Taber.

I am not a doctor nor do I ever want to be, but when it comes to adhesions I often feel like I know this disorder inside out. I'm reading your email, you described your pain symptoms and complications, it sounds like you might be suffering from the painful disorders of adhesions.

So my first questions is to determine if and where you have a source for the adhesions to be coming from. Since adhesions are usually due to invasive surgeries I have to ask, have you ever had an abdominal operation?

Gallbladder? Laparoscope procedures? I assume you are female? If so do you have you female organs? Have you ever had any babies? If so how did that go?

I have been a member of the IAS, the adhesions society that you posted your message at, since 2001, I was once the new kid on the block and people on this site welcomed me in and helped me to learn to cope and find hope. Now I am one of the old-timers and I am here to help in anyway I can. If you want to contact me confidentially you can write to me directly at tammytl@msn.com or you can post your message to the IAS site, most of those come to my email box and I try to view and contact new members as often as I can.

I can help you better if I know more about you, so let me know if there are any specific questions I might be able to offer you my point of view, but remember I am not a doctor. So as far as the doctors go, it might be helpful to look up as much information as possible on adhesions on the internet and take what you find relates to you to the doctor and have the review your material and then you, hopefully, will find the doctor to be more open minded to you and your needs.

Keep in mind that there are no tests such as x-rays, ultrasounds or MRIs that can 'see' adhesions' these tests are helpful in making sure all the internal organs are in their proper places and that the bowels are not bound or kinked but these tests are not good for the verification that adhesions do or do not exist within your body. Additional operations that are not absolutely necessary are not helpful, in fact, if you are already prone to adhesions, additional operations will only make your condition worse.

Through a Laporoscopy the doctors can see adhesions because they are entering the body. However, this procedure is very risky, one, because when they go in they might end up having to push through something and there is no way for the surgeon to determine if they are going to push through scar tissue or a vital organ. Also, even though the procedure uses very small instruments, it is still an invasion to the body and it can cause addition adhesions and more pain to the patient. Those are just a couple of things I thought you should know and be able to think about as you go about collecting information.

I wish you the best and I hope something can be done to help you. Oh one more thing, look up SprayGel, spelled just like that, it is manufactured by Confluent Inc. This product is undergoing clinical trial studies and if it is approved by the FDA for use in the USA then there might be an end to the pain and suffering of adhesions in our near future.

Pain Free Hugs and Best Wishes to You and Yours, Tammy Lynn

Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 11:49 AM Sender: hmuich@yahoo.com Subject: incapacitating pelvic pain with no end in sight

I am a Medic and do not understand why doctors do not listen to the patient. I have been having the chronic pain off and on going on a couple of years now. The pain is in my pelvis, mostly on the right(now on the left as well), radiates to my back, and is incapacitating. I almost passed out from it a week ago. Within the last two months, I have been unsuccessful in ignoring the pain.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: