Re: surgery/pain/recovery

Wed Sep 8 10:03:43 2004

i was wondering what kind of exercises your therapist taught you to do to strengthen your abdominal wall? i was injured on the job,, evidently i strained my abdomen among many other muscles. my linea albis seemed to become herniated..from my belly buttondown to the pubic bone...and a little above the belly button.. in fact.. it feels weird even up to my sternum..it is very rigid feelin and hurts about all the time..like the abs were split in half and seprated.. i was in physical therapy but she said it wasnt split..im not accepting that either .. just because i know how it feels.. and they dont.. she taught me a few exercises and how to stretch my abs manually,, all aroud the chest cavity and waist and sides and it helped to a point..but something still seems to be wrong that the docs cant explain and seems to not even want to help other than giving me pain meds.. and i hate that!!! i hate pills and thats the only solution they can seem to offer..anyway, it has gotten a little better,, but still after a year it is not the way it used to be.. and it still seems when i try anything strenuous, it starts hurting again.. every time i go to the doctor they think i have tendonitis in my stomach.. im tired of that explanation and have begun trying to find out as much as i can about the area so i can finallly get over this. the right side of my abdomen feels fine.. but my left side is very weak and i have pains that are just so annoying it drives me crazy!!!..i read your little message thread.. and it seems we have had the same pain with the middle of the abs(linea albis). i may have a hernia.. but i doubt it,, they only thing that clues me to that is a little knot to the left of the linea albis..i was hurt pretty bad at work, continues to work through it.. workmans comp denied my claim and i was fired for not being able to do my job,, i havent had any luck with doctors that say they know..i guess this may be weird for a guy to have this kind of problem.. but i feel im not alone.. i hope.. , i was a very fit person before this... and im afraid to do a whole lot of strenuous activity anymore.. ive been walking alot.. running a little...sorry i keep blabbering.. i just need to know what i can do to strengthen my abominal wall.. crunches and situps hurt me... and i i dont know what else to do... i did read somewhere that sucking my gut in would help .. but im not sure how often or exactly how to do it,, as far as how hard or how much,, thanks for your time if you get this... i hope to hear from you soon!!.. Greg

At Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Balde Family wrote: >
>He sent me to a physical therapist who deals with
>scar tissue and she taught me some exercises to
>strengthen my abdominal wall. They don't hurt.
>I'm very cautious about doing anything to my abdomen.
>They are very gentle stretches and also some massage
>techniques to soften the outer scar/incision to help
>free it up. Before I started, my incision, which ran
>from my belly button to my pubic bone, was very hard
>and stiff. It pinched whenever I moved and
>was very painful. Now it's soft and rarely pulls when
>I move around. I do have to keep up on my exercises or
>I notice it stiffening again. I had an old c-section
>scar too, from 5 years ago. I started massaging that too and
>now it's almost completely unnoticable. I remember dealing
>with all of the pain after surgery from healing and from
>the endometriosis and everything else.