bowel obstruction

Tue Sep 7 11:31:43 2004

I am looking for advice from anyone who has suffered from repeated small bowel obstructions. I was in a car accident eight years ago and I had a laparatomy procedure due to internal injuries. Three months after the birth of my first child (via natural delivery), I experienced repetitive episodes of bilious vomiting and severe abdominal cramping. I also had diaharea that would last for days. After about four episodes that lasted up to 12 hours each, I went to the ER and they diagnosed a partial small bowel obstruction. I had another laparatomy performed in April of this year and numerous adhesions were removed. Three months later, I experienced a mild, yet persistent, abdominal pain the belly button area with diaharea that lasted about five days. This time, I ate a clear liquid diet only for five days and it resolved on its own.

Can small bowel obstruction caused by adhesions be avoided with a diet change? If the bowels remain moving and constipation is avoided through a high fiber diet, can't the chances be reduced of forming an obstruction? I am desperate for an answer to avoid future surgeries. Any form of IBD has been ruled out. This seems to be adhesion-related. Thank you, Dawn

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: