so now what am I supposed to do?

Sun Jul 11 15:33:05 2004

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and very glad I found it.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy with both ovaries removed in November of 2003 due to a large fibroid tumor. It has been a very rough recovery to say the least. In late January of 2004, I had a severe pulling pain in my upper left quadrant and a severe pain shooting down my left leg.

The surgeon was technically "unavailable" for consult and all I could get was a nurse that told me to go on a liquid diet and to take stool softeners and that I had an adhesion. How they came to this decision is beyond me considering the fact they never even bothered to examine me.

So, I went to my regular internist and was advised that it was suspected to be an adhesion. Tests were run on me and they all came out negative.

My internist advised me to go home and to eat food and to go on with my life.

I did this and within a couple of weeks, the pain diminished substantially.

I finally went to see the surgeon two weeks ago and was told that I have adhesions from the surgery and to not take anymore pain pills.

This might be just fine advice for many, but in my case not at all practical as I suffer from multiple sclerosis and I have chronic severe pain from the disease. I frequently wake-up at night in horrible pain and I dream that I am crying only to awaken to be actually crying and in horrible pain.

So, my question is this: What am I supposed to do?

I do not want to live in chronic pain. I'd rather be dead than to go on like this.

I've been taking all of these stool softeners to the point that they literally sicken me. Now my stomach hurts when I eat. I used to have a fantastic appetite before this happened.

I was advised if I had not had this lovely surgery, I would have died within two weeks of kidney failure as the tumor they removed was huge and was strangling my organs.

I was also told while in the hosptial that I have a "dicinded bowel" whatever that is.

I've been having a difficult time with my bowels before/after this surgery.

I am very frustrated to say the least and also very depressed. What am I supposed to do but wish for a quick death?

Any advice appreciated. Arent' there any pain killers that do not cause constipation? This is a living nightmare.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: