ARD & SSI Disability

From: International Adhesions Society (tracy.joslin@adhesions.org)
Sat Feb 7 19:18:04 2004

From: K NygrenSent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 10:13 AM Subject: Re: ARD & SSI Disability

There is a real skill to applying for disability. Most doctors don't know how to write the letters that really help you get Social Security. I used to work for the SSA and that was my job...reviewing all claims that came and went into our office. I saw what was said by the doctors and the differences in an allowance and a denial were glaring. I also learned by experience. I have been found disabled twice. The first time at the hearings level which is really your best chance at being found disabled and the second at the reconsideration. The only reason I wasn't found disabled at the initial filing the second time was they are not allowed at that level to combine problems. I have a multitude of issues, as we all do, and the case adjudicator told me that she could not give me the disability but that it would be immediately turned around on reconsideration.

The other thing for people to understand is that it is okay to tell them you are depressed. It is okay to be sent for a mental evaluation. It is okay to receive benefits partially based on depression as well. First, it helps us to get benefits. Second, how many people can say that this disease does not leave them depressed? They'd be lying to themselves.

To clarify things for people: In most instances when you file for disability you are filing for SSDI....not SSI. SSDI is Social Security Disability. It is earned by working and paying into the system and remaining "insured" or having worked in recent years. SSI is Supplemental Security Income. It is paid to the elderly...over 65... who have very limited income and to the disabled whose income is limited as well. It is a welfare based program.

I would be happy to assist people as I can. Just know it might be big gaps between communications as I am frequently hospitalized with septic infections...weeks at a time. I feel one coming on so I may be gone for awhile.

Karla

__________________ From: Saddletrampfarm@aol.com

--
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 8:04 AM
Subject: Re: ARD & SSI Disability

Hi, Yes I applied and was turned down.. My Doctor wrote a lengthy letter as to why I am disabled and they still turned me down. Living off one income is tight but doable for my family. I don't know what ARD suffers are supposed to do when one income is not enough??? Good Luck Mary in Maryland

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: