Barium Studies - Showed fistula today

Wed Jan 28 14:19:59 2004

Welp, I had to come here and let you know that after many years of NEGATIVE results I finally failed the Upper GI/SBFT test. The right side of large colon never filled and the barium hit the rectum area and I had to go & expel it 1.5 hours after ingesting. No barium remnant anywhere showing how it got to the rectum, the entire right side colon was never filled.

So that was 3 hours of the test.

They repeated the same study right after completing the first one and the next study over several hours was NORMAL. The right side filled up fine and I did not have any barium diarrhea at all. So my SBFT took 5 hours but what crazy mixed results. He laughed and said I had a abnormal/normal study...

Radiologist said my case is the most interesting he has seen in a LONG time.

The reason I wanted to come here is because the Xray Doc said had he not seen this he would have never believed it. My case was the talk of the place amongst the techs and other radiologists....

I have been in bad shape for a decade now, and if the Docs cannot document something they have a hard time believing you. Today I felt like I was representing all of us in this forum to show them that adhesion suffers are not TEXTBOOK cases. We may pass your medical tests but 20 mins later be sick as a dog....now had the test be done later it would have shown our suffering on film.

The XRAY Doc agreed with me....he said Xrays are only normal at the time your doing them, and the person could be in crisis 30 mins later....and this is what Doctors have to be compassionate about when it comes to us adhesion sufferers.

Thru the grace of God, this morning my intestines acted up on film, and then turned right around and acted normal for the repeat study....but that does not discount the abnormal first 3 hour study...We have bad days and good days, and it seems the Docs cannot understand that....welp, I proved it on film today, same test done back to back, one abnormal and one normal.

Anyhoo he is convinced I have a fistula that opens and closes, he is convinced I have intermittent partial bowel obstructions that resolve.

So I feel redeemed because I am so inconsistant with my adhesion disease. My medical Docs and GI team will learn something here....TAKE US SERIOUSLY and stop putting all the weight on medical tests, they are not 100% dependable. LISTEN to us, we know our bodies...and make us comfortable until you figure out how to manage us.

So, anyone have any fistula background? This does not warrant surgery does it since it does not stay open 24/7? This explains the 20 pounds weight loss over 1.5 years tho...I have had 13 abdominal surgeries, last one was 10 years ago.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: