Severe Abdominal Pain

Tue Dec 2 20:43:12 2003

Hello, I am a 39 year old male with a history of abdominal adhesions. I am active duty Air Force. In June 1996, I had laparoscopy nissen fundoplication for GERD. After the surgery, I had difficulty swallowing. After several upper GIs and esophagogastroduodenoscopy with dilations, I had open abdominal surger to take down the nissen and do a toupee fundoplication in March 1997. This surgery corrected the difficulty swallowing, however, in late 1999, I started experiencing severe abdominal pain. In February 2000, I had open exploratory/adhesiolysis surgery. The surgeon found massive adhesions in my abdomen. This surgery relieved the severe abdominal pains temporarily. In 2001, I started experiencing severe abdominal pains again which resulted in several hospitalizations. In May 2001, I had open adhesiolysis surgery which relieved the severe abdominal pain. In 2003, I again started experiencing severe abdominal pain. I have had a small bowel follow-through exam and have been hospitalized on three separate occassions. During these hospitalizations, the doctors have been treating the symptom of constipation, along with administering narcotic pain medication for the severe abdominal pain. They have now sent me home with morphine and vicadin. I have discussed with the general surgeon about doing surgery and using Seprafilm that helps reduce the incidence, extent, and severity of postoperative adhesions. He told me that he could not guarantee the Seprafilm would work. They also want me to go to a pain management clinic. I do not feel that the narcotics or pain management clinic will solve the problem. They will only be hiding the pain. I have an appointment on December 4th with a general surgeon in St. Louis, Missour for a 2nd opinion. The severe abdominal pain is a major issue in my quality of life. Has anyone had any experience with using Seprafilm to reduce the adhesions? Also, I am looking for any ideas and suggestions. Thank you and God Bless You!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: