Re: Zelnorm

Tue Nov 11 21:00:46 2003

I'm not an expert but I will tell you what I was told. I had surgery for another problem and they spent an additional 5 hours removing stage 4 adhesive disease. I was already on Zelnorm for IBS and they told me when the surgery was over that I wasn't to take it anymore. They said that the drug causes the muscles of/around the intestines to move things through faster. They said that with the severe adhesive disease that this "action" can cause pulling on abdominal organs or the intestines themselves to the point where it can cause a perforation. That scared me enough to go off of it. I haven't seen the GI doctor yet since the surgery, that appointment is in another week. I am on Miralax and that seems to solve all the problems. You may want to try that. It just keeps more liquid in the stool keeping it soft and making things move along better naturally. I hope that helps you a little.

A side note...I had the Gore-tex put in. We'll see how that goes. They think it will help with the adhesions.

At Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Shirley wrote: >
>I am having abdominal cramping and constipation. My G.I. Dr. is
>prescribing Zelnorm. I think I have adhesions from my hysterectomy. I
>would like to know if anyone has used Zelnorm or knows why you should
>not take it if you think you have adhesions.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: