New 'member'

Sun Jul 6 00:40:18 2003

Hello to all you brave women (I just realized I don't believe I read a single message from a man on this site). I have been reading for the last hour some of the interesting information all of you have shared with each other over the years of your trials and suffering. I have had intense abd pain for about the last six months, multiple tests have ruled out everything, which leaves my surgeon to believe I have adhesions. She does not recommend surgery due to, you know, creating more adhesions. My first abd surgery was in '98, open cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal due to large stones) which left a large scar that took about a year to heal, still felt "tight" at that time. Then I became very ill 11/01 with frequent bouts of flu-like symptoms about 1-2 times a month. Then in Feb '02 became very feverish, jaundiced, hepatitis tests negative, more tests revealed almost completely blocked liver duct. Emergency repair surgery with larger abdominal scar over old scar (looks like a large inverted 'V' with 6-8 inch lines), that was in March '02. Very long recovery, Dr kept saying "you had a very big surgery with lots of layers of muscle cut open, it will take a while to heal". One year later pain seems to be getting worse with frequent episodes of bent over, can't breathe, think I might die kind of pain. So begins the tests to rule out everything but the kitchen sink. I live in a medium size town so we get sent to a bigger town 3 hours away for major surgeries. I went back to the big city to see my surgeon and she confirmed what I hoped I would not be hearing, "you have adhesions". She gave me an anti-spasmodic which does not seem to help any more than the oxycodone and told me I could come back to see her but there is not much she can do since more surgery . . . you know the story. I was so depressed on the way home I cried for two hours non-stop. I'm a single mom of a 12 year old son, how can I work, have a life with my son, have a life of my own. So much I used to be able to do I may not do again. The next day I woke with a sense of determination. I have a lot of hope that I can beat this somehow, without surgery. I have received 2 acupuncture treatments and am scheduled for another 2 this coming week. I am using a chinese herbal drink that seems to lessen the pain a bit. The acupuncture has generated some result after first session that lasted a few days, then second session was not as effective. There are good days and bad days. I will research low residue diet as my problems seem to be bowel related. Thank you for providing this outlet for ARD - I am sure it will help me as I am sure it has helped many others cope.

--
Denise

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: