Suspected Adhesion at Colon, Should I Undergo Diagnostic Laproscopy?

Fri Jun 13 13:50:35 2003

Hi,

I need advice...... I found this place after a web search on adhesions.

I am a 38 year old male with a 2 year history of sharp pain in the lower left quadreant of my abdomen. The pain is generally centered in a spot to the left of my navel. There are no symptoms involving bowel function... no diarehha or constipation, no nausea or fever.... just the pain.

We have gone through colonoscopies and several CAT scans. I went to a new doctor recently for a surgical evaluation since my GP wanted to rule out an abdominal hernia. The surgeon looked at my CAT scan and showed me a spot where my bowel was unusually close to the abdominal wall. I have diverticulosis and he suggested that a diverticula may have ruptured and and adhesion formed in that spot. He put his finger on the spot and it triggered the pain. He did a trigger point injection which helped a bit... maybe for like a day.

The surgeon said that he was going to leave it to me to decide if I wanted him to do a diagnostic laproscopy. He said there is clearly no emergency and no tumor or something trully scary. The diverticli I have are not inflammed or infected.

My question, after reading alot here about adhesions, is should I go through with the diagnostic procedure? I am afraid of it making it worse...... If there is adhesions now, they are on;y problematic in one spot..... I don't want them other places too. Any opinions or experiences? I am not afraid of the procedure, but I am afraid of the incredible risk of adhesions after surgery.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: