Thank you and question

Mon May 5 20:07:55 2003

I've spent the last week trying to get in to see a doctor. I saw a physicians assistant who thought I had a bowel obstruction, scared me to death and then spent three days figuring out he wanted to refer me to a gastro doc.

I got the referral paperwork and it says IBS - referral is routine. I can't seem to go to the bathroom and this is routine? If I take a laxative, I get a little diarrhea, major cramps and no relief.

I tried to explain to the first gastro doc's secretary that I never had this problem before my hysterectomy in October. That they cut down scar tissue four months later, I've gone just fine until about three weeks ago. She diagnosed me over the phone with IBS. Wow, why even go to the appointment? Needless to say I'm trying another gastro doc whose receptionists don't diagnose disorders via the phone.

So, I want to know. How do they diagnose adhesions or do we all get the catch all diagnosis of IBS when our intestines aren't working? I have friends who DO suffer from IBS. It's a horrible thing I know so please don't think I'm saying it isn't. My problem is not set off by certain foods, stress or anything. Its constant. I just cannot go.

I can imagine quite a few here have been referred to a gastro doc. When I do get appointment (likely a month from now), what should I expect?

Thank you all for your kind words the other day and for any experiences you could share regarding IBS. How can they diagnose this without ANY sort of tests?

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: