Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease, hiatal hernia, and H. pylori.....My personal experience

Sat Mar 29 22:02:43 2003

Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease, hiatal hernia, and H. pylori.....My personal experience

If you have a hiatal hernia, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) can mimic chest pain! This happened to me! I actually thought I was having heart problems because of the chest pain, I was having. I was very relieved to find out my heart was not involved. However, GERD is a serious problem that requires medical attention!! When acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, this can cause scarring in the esophagus! If you are having chest pain, I urge you to see your doctor!!

The following therapy was prescribed for me several years ago for both GERD and H.pylori. These drugs are available only with your doctor's prescription!

1.) Prilosec - is the brand name. Omeprazole (o-MEP-ra-zole) is the generic of Prilosec. Omeprazole is used to treat certain conditions in which there is too much acid in the stomach. It is used to treat gastric and duodenal ulcers and GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease), a condition in which the acid in the stomach washes back up into the esophagus.

Sometimes omeprazole is used in combination with antibiotics to treat ulcers associated with infection caused by the H. pylori bacteria (germ). Omeprazole works by decreasing the amount of acid produced by the stomach.

2.) Propulsid - is the brand name. Cisapride (SIS-a-pride) is a medication that increases the movements or contractions of the stomach and intestines. It is used to treat symptoms such as heartburn - caused by a backward flow of stomach acid into the esophagus.

However, Propulsid has been banned by the FDA.

3.) Metronidazole (me-troe-NI-da-zole). Flagyl is the brand name. Metronidazole is used to treat infections.

These three drugs comprised the triple therapy that helped me to finally overcome GERD and H. pylori - within about a 3 month time-frame.

~ ~ ~ ~

As I thought back to my experience with having had GERD, a hiatal hernia and H. pylori, I was reminded about the time I volunteered for H. pylori research at the Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC). HCMC is a very large hospital in downtown Minneapolis.

The research experience I volunteered for is/was a *non-invasive* procedure to diagnose H. pylori. My memory is not too clear about this; but I do remember having to drink a small styrofoam cupful of a special liquid. Then after a certain time period, I had to exhale into a *specially constructed plastic bag*. As a result of doing this, this diagnostic test would reveal whether or not I tested positive for H. pylori. My results were positive for H. pylori; but for some reason, which I do not remember, I did not qualify for the next part of the research procedure.

I also remember having had and endoscopy procedure so my doctor could actually see if I was free of H. pylori. Thankfully, I was!

The most important point I want to make is: if you are experiencing symptoms of Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), it is very important that you be treated for this condition. When stomach acid back up into the esophagus, this acid can be very damaging to the esophagus - and can cause scarring to develop.

If you have been treated for GERD - and don't seem to be making much progress with your treatment - then maybe you should be looking for another doctor - a doctor who will be much more helpful and sympathetic to your concerns.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: