My experience with the anti-depressant, Amitriptyline.

Mon Mar 24 21:35:55 2003

Five days after a laparotomy in 1970, I felt the return of pain. Since my doctor was unable to find a pathological reason for my continuing pain, I began my seemingly endless search for a doctor, who would believe my cries of pain.

Between 1970 to 1976 I had been examined by many, many doctors...including doctors at the famed Mayo Clinic; but all of my diagnostic tests were consistently normal - or negative for abnormal pathology. And, as a result, none of these doctors believed my pain was real - and the only medications these doctors prescribed for me were muscle relaxants and tranquilizers. None of these drugs were effective in calming the pain that consumed my days and nights during those years!!

For more than six years I went from doctor to doctor - until September 1976, when I finally found a doctor, who was determined to to do what he could to help me. Dr. Robert Sampson, an osteopathic physician, recognized that I was suffering from a very severe clinical depression - in addition to chronic pain..

To alleviate my depression, he prescribed 10 mgs of Amitriptyline (Elavil) - the lowest dosage of this anti-depressant. Within a week I was beginning to sleep through the night. I was kept on 10 mgs of Amitriptyline for about two weeks.

About two weeks later - at my next appointment - Dr. Sampson increased the Amitriptyline from 10 mgs to 25 mgs. From that point on he increased the dosage of Amitriptyline by increments of 25 mgs every other week until I finally reached a therapeutic level.

Gradually - over several week's time - the intensity of my pain became considerably diminished. I never became completely pain-free; but for the first time since 1970 my pain was at a level that I could manage...about a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.

In addition to prescribing Amitriptyline for me, Dr. Sampson also patiently took whatever time was necessary to help me understand the mind-body connection; because it is well known that there is a connection between the mind and the body.

He used terms such as endorphins, neurotransmitters, nociceptors, serotonin etc - terms I had a lot of difficulty understanding and remembering. As a result of having lived with untreated chronic pain for so many years, I had lost my ability to concentrate and remember.

Under Dr. Sampson's tutoring I learned that untreated chronic pain can lead to depression. Depression can cause an increase in the sensation of pain - and result in the depletion ot the endorphins, the human brain's natural supply of morphine. Stress also depletes the endorphins. What is more stressful than constant pain!!!!

I have been taking Amitriptyline (currently at 100 mgs) since September 1976 - without any harmful side-effects.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: