About addiction to pain meds

Thu Mar 13 07:52:20 2003

Dear All, I just want to re-enforce what Helen has found about pain managment and addiction. This is from my personal experience. I have recently had surgery that has left me pain free ( I think) and adhesion free. First off the duragesic patch which came off two days after surgery and I did not even bat an eye. I was so scared to go on it as I had heard it was so addictive. Off of vicodan now falling back on maybe one a day, down from 6, if I do too much and next a slow wean off a high amount of neurontin. Once the pain is gone it seems easy to just drop off these drugs for me and I was so terrified to try them initially. I am a single mom and wanted as much functionality as possible. I needed them and now the need is gone and I am happy to see my brains are not fried and I was not addicted as I thought I would be. Let this be a message of hope to all who still suffer. I am a firm advocate now that in the 21st century you should be as comfortable as possible as you face the painful and dibiltating aspects in your life. Pain control is your right, you deserve it and it gives you more functionality as opposed to doing the suck up of enduring the pain. Please feel free to contact me at the above address if I can be of any help to you. Love, Dawn

--
I'm no doctor, just a fellow sufferer like you but I hope you consider me a new friend.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: