Be Informed: Questions To Ask Your Doctor Before You Have Surgery

Thu Jan 9 16:36:50 2003

X> Be Informed: Questions To Ask Your Doctor Before You Have Surgery

http://www.ahrq.gov/consumer/surgery.htm

" Are you facing surgery? You are not alone. Millions of Americans have surgery each year. Most operations are not emergencies. This means you have time to ask your surgeon questions about the operation and time to decide whether to have it, and if so, when and where. The information presented here does not apply to emergency surgery."

Overview

1.) What operation are you recommending? ... 2.) Why do I need the operation? ... 3.) Are there alternatives to surgery? ... 4.) What are the benefits of having the operation? ... 5.) What are the risks of having the operation? ... 6.) What if I don't have this operation? ... 7.) Where can I get a second opinion? ... 8.) What has been your experience in doing the operation? ... 9.) Where will the operation be done? ... 10.) What kind of anesthesia will I need? ... 11.) How long will it take me to recover? ... 12.) How much will the operation cost? ... Surgeons' Qualifications ... For More Information ... Surgery ... Second Opinion ... Anesthesia ... Pain Control ... General

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: