Re: Inter-tissual Scarring from a Laparotomy in 1970

Sat Dec 28 21:47:41 2002

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

----__JNP_000_05cb.76ae.1916 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

DEAR HELEN, I HAVE BEEN READING AND KEEPING ALOT OF YOUR ARTICLES YOU HAVE BEEN SENDING. I HAVE ONLY POSTED ONCE. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO THIS ONE. THAT MY LAST BOUT WITH ADHESIONS TOOK ALMOST 8YRS TO COME BACK. I THINK THEY MAY HAVE BEEN SOONER. BUT I DID NOT START FEELING THEM UNTIL 11WKS AGO WHEN I HAD A LAPROSCOPE. AND THEN 6WKS AFTER THAT I HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY/APPENDECTOMY TAKING BOTH OVARIES AND THEY FOUND ALL THE ADHESIONS BACK IN FULL FORCE. SO THESE THINGS CAN COME BACK AT ANY TIME..... I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THANK YOU FOR THIS SITE. BECAUSE I CAN NOW PROVE TO PEOPLE I AM NOT INSANE AS SOME WOULD THINK. I PLANE ON TAKING ALOT OF THIS INFO. TO MY DR. AND PAIN MANAGEMENT DR. SO THANKS AGAIN.

HAPPY NEW LESS OR NO PAIN YEAR TO ALL.......LOVE YALL NICKY

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:42:05 -0600 "Helen Dynda" <olddad66@runestone.net> writes: Since my surgery in January 2002, I continue to be free of the pain caused by adhesions!! However, it is still too early for me to know for sure.

Adhesions are the way the human body heals and protects itself following surgical procedures; and I remember Dr. Wiseman mentioned - on one of his OBGYN.net chats in 1998 - that adhesions can return years later!! After reading some of the messages on the IAS MB, I am beginning to think he may be right. Adhesion-formation begins as soon as 3 hours after surgery!! How do I know this? I have read that surgeons, who have performed lengthy adhesiolysis procedures - more than 3 hours to as many as 10 hours - have actually seen the formation of adhesions in places where they had already lysed (cut) adhesions!! Surgeons in Germany, Australia and the United Kingdom currently are able to apply the new SprayGel adhesion barrier (http://www.confluentsurgical.com/) at the conclusion of a surgical procedure. Dr. Korell asked me to wait with my surgery until SprayGel had been approved in Europe (November 2001); so I chose to wait until January 2002 to have my surgery. If any adhesions are going to reform after a surgical procedure, they will form within 7 days after the surgical procedure. On about the 7th day patients in Germany undergo a second surgical procedure that's known as a second look laparoscopy (SLL). The SLL gives the surgeon a chance to evaluate the results of the initial surgery. If any adhesions have reformed, the surgeon can very easily "take down" these reformed adhesions, which are like wispy cob webs on the 7th day following the initial surgery. Then the surgeon will apply more SprayGel to areas in need of an adhesion barrier. Both a second look laparoscopy and SprayGel adhesion barrier are NOT available for use in surgery in the United States - unless someone wants to volunteer - and meets certain requirements - to take part in the SprayGel clinical trials. SprayGel is currently in clinical trials throughout the United States. These clinical trials began in June 2002. It could take as many as 2 years before Confluent Surgical will be ready to present the results of the SprayGel clinical trials to the FDA for their approval. Gasless laparoscopy - another adhesion-prevention technique - is offered only at Frankfurt, Germany for surgical patients at Frankfurt. The carbon dioxide - that is used by surgeons to inflate the abdomen at the beginning of a surgical procedure - is also known to be a cause adhesion formation. Adhesions that remain within the abdominal-pelvic cavity will begin to mature after the 7th day. As adhesions mature they tend to shrink (become shortened) and they will toughen. As time goes by - it's only a matter of time before the patient finds himself or herself having to deal once again with the chronic pain of adhesions. More than 11 months have gone by since my surgery in Germany in January 2002; and I continue to be free of pain that's caused by adhesions!! I wish I could tell you that I am completely free of pain - but I can't. I had hoped that Dr. Korell would be able to resect the painful scar tissue that resulted from the laparotomy I had in 1970. This scar tissue is located at the lowest point of the incisional scar that result from the laparotomy I had in 1970; and is located deep within the sutured tissues. The day before my January 2002 surgery, Dr. Korell told me what happens when an incision is made. When the surgeon makes the incision, he/she has to cut through several layers of tissue. Unfortunately, in the process of making an incision, nerves are also severed (cut)!! At the end of the surgical procedure, the surgeon then has to individually suture each layer of tissue together. As a result of the incision, scar tissue forms along the severed edge of each layer of tissue - which creates a barrier that prevents the severed nerves from reconnecting to their former nerve pathways; and the severed nerves become trapped!! Since the nerves cannot penetrate the scar tissue, they " mis-fire." I believe entrapped nerves are the cause of the unrelenting "burning" pain I continue to have. Dr. Korell has had some success with freeing up entrapped nerves - via an abdominal revision procedure. Since I was desperate for relief from pain, I was willing to try anything that might help - in spite of Dr. Korell's explanation about scar tissue causing nerves to be trapped. Had I not been so deperate and filled with hope, I might have used my analytical brain to realize (that the odds of a successful abdominal revision are unpredictable) my hope for success and pain relief was also unpredictable. I knew I was taking a chance when I gave Dr. Korell my permission to perform an abdominal revision (like a bikini cut) - in addition to my adhesiolysis procedure. Dr. Korell carefully applied both SprayGel and Intergel to the area where adhesions had attachd my bowel to the peritoneum in the RLQ - and to the area where adhesions had attached my omentum to the abdominal wall. In spite of Dr. Korell's very careful and skillful surgical expertise, the abdominal revision was unsuccessful in eliminating the pain I continue to experience; and the recovery from the abdominal revision has been a very painful experience!! I can best describe the pain of entrapped nerves as a burning, knife-like pain that radiates throughout my lower pelvis and out to both of my hips. Sitting exacerbates the pain; however, I don't let the burning pain prevent me from sitting. I rely on a psychological technique, known as distraction. Distraction helps to prevent the full impact of pain messages from reaching my brain, the pain center. Distraction has worked very well for me for most of my life!! To recapitulate: scar tissue is NOT the same as adhesions!! To recapitulate: The scar tissue, that I'm referring to, is the scar tissue that forms within the tissues as a result of the incision made at the time of the surgery. As the tissues heal, scar tissue forms - creating a barrier that the severed nerves are unable to penetrate!!. Consequently, the nerves begin to "misfire" - and that's what causes the pain!! I'm not sure if my description of inter-tissual scarring is completely acurate; but I think you will get the picture. Beverly Doucette was invited by Dr. Harry Reich to attend the International Society of Gynecologic Endoscopy (ISGE) Congress at Berlin in late April 2002. During a break Bev found the opportunity to open a discussion about laparotomy procedures and inter-tissual scarring. In a matter of a few minutes, Bev attacted about a dozen surgeons, who also entered into the discussion. Bev used my experience with inter-tissual scarring - that resulted from a laparotomy in 1970 - as the topic for discussion. These highly educated and very experienced laparoscopic surgeons had NO idea that scarring from a laparotomy incision would cause debilitating pain!! Now they do know - including Dr. Reich. Dr. Reich told Bev that he plans to write a paper about inter-tissual scarring!! According to Bev, there isn't anything surgeons can do to "fix" inter-tissual scarring!! Once nerves have been severed, nothing can be done surgically to restore the nerves to their former nerve pathways!! Medical research has not found a way to prevent the human body from forming adhesions. That is the reality!! Medicine is still in the "Dark Ages" regarding adhesion-formation and inter-tissual scarring!! Hopefully, someday soon medical research will discover "the key" that will provide surgeons with a barrier that actually will help to prevent adhesions. Maybe SprayGel will be that barrier; but we will never know until SprayGel clinical trials have been completed. Currently, Confluent Surgical's SprayGel adhesion barrier continues to show real promise; but will be the long term results of SprayGel? That's the million/billion dollar question. I sure hope it is!!! ----__JNP_000_05cb.76ae.1916 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

DEAR HELEN,
I HAVE BEEN READING AND KEEPING ALOT OF YOUR ARTICLES YOU HAVE BEEN SENDING. I HAVE ONLY POSTED ONCE. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO THIS ONE. THAT MY LAST BOUT WITH ADHESIONS TOOK ALMOST 8YRS TO COME BACK. I THINK THEY MAY HAVE BEEN SOONER. BUT I DID NOT START FEELING THEM UNTIL 11WKS AGO WHEN I HAD A LAPROSCOPE. AND THEN 6WKS AFTER THAT I HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY/APPENDECTOMY TAKING BOTH OVARIES AND THEY FOUND ALL THE ADHESIONS BACK IN FULL FORCE. SO THESE THINGS CAN COME BACK AT ANY TIME..... I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THANK YOU FOR THIS SITE. BECAUSE I CAN NOW PROVE TO PEOPLE I AM NOT INSANE AS SOME WOULD THINK. I PLANE ON TAKING ALOT OF THIS INFO. TO MY DR. AND PAIN MANAGEMENT DR. SO THANKS AGAIN.

HAPPY NEW LESS OR NO PAIN YEAR TO ALL.......LOVE YALL NICKY

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:42:05 -0600 "Helen Dynda" <olddad66@runestone.net> writes:
Since my surgery in January 2002, I continue to be free of the pain caused by adhesions!! However, it is still too early for me to know for sure.

Adhesions are the way the human body heals and protects itself following surgical procedures;  and I remember Dr. Wiseman mentioned - on one of his OBGYN.net chats in 1998 - that adhesions can return years later!!  After reading some of the messages on the IAS MB, I am beginning to think he may be right.

Adhesion-formation begins as soon as 3 hours after surgery!!  How do I know this? I have read that surgeons, who have performed lengthy adhesiolysis procedures - more than 3 hours to as many as 10 hours - have actually seen the formation of adhesions in places where they had already lysed (cut) adhesions!!

Surgeons in Germany, Australia and the United Kingdom currently are able to apply the new SprayGel adhesion barrier (www.confluentsurgical.com/) at the conclusion of a surgical procedure.  Dr. Korell asked me to wait with my surgery until SprayGel had been approved in Europe (November 2001);  so I chose to wait until January 2002 to have my surgery.

If any adhesions are going to reform after a surgical procedure, they will form within 7 days after the surgical procedure.  On about the 7th day patients in Germany undergo a second surgical procedure that's known as a second look laparoscopy (SLL). 

The SLL gives the surgeon a chance to evaluate the results of the initial surgery.  If any adhesions have reformed, the surgeon can very easily "take down" these reformed adhesions, which are like wispy cob webs on the 7th day following the initial surgery.  Then the surgeon will apply more SprayGel to areas in need of an adhesion barrier.

Both a second look laparoscopy and SprayGel adhesion barrier are NOT available for use in surgery in the United States - unless someone wants to volunteer - and meets certain requirements - to take part in the SprayGel clinical trials. 

SprayGel is currently in clinical trials throughout the United States.  These clinical trials began in June 2002.  It could take as many as 2 years before Confluent Surgical will be ready to present the results of the SprayGel clinical trials to the FDA for their approval.

Gasless laparoscopy - another adhesion-prevention technique - is offered only at Frankfurt, Germany for surgical patients at Frankfurt.  The carbon dioxide - that is used by surgeons to inflate the abdomen at the beginning of a surgical procedure - is also known to be a cause adhesion formation.

Adhesions that remain within the abdominal-pelvic cavity will begin to mature after the 7th day.  As adhesions mature they tend to shrink (become shortened) and they will toughen.  As time goes by - it's only a matter of time before the patient finds himself or herself having to deal once again with the chronic pain of adhesions.

More than 11 months have gone by since my surgery in Germany in January 2002;  and I continue to be free of pain that's caused by adhesions!! 

I wish I could tell you that I am completely free of pain - but I can't.  I had hoped that Dr. Korell would be able to resect the painful scar tissue that resulted from the laparotomy I had in 1970.  This scar tissue is located at the lowest point of the incisional scar that result from the laparotomy I had in 1970;  and is located deep within the sutured tissues.

The day before my January 2002 surgery, Dr. Korell told me what happens when an incision is made. When the surgeon makes the incision, he/she has to cut through several layers of tissue. Unfortunately, in the process of making an incision, nerves are also severed (cut)!!

At the end of the surgical procedure, the surgeon then has to individually suture each layer of tissue together. As a result of the incision, scar tissue forms along the severed edge of each layer of tissue - which creates a barrier that prevents the severed nerves from reconnecting to their former nerve pathways;  and the severed nerves become trapped!! Since the nerves cannot penetrate the scar tissue, they " mis-fire."  I believe entrapped nerves are the cause of the unrelenting "burning" pain I continue to have.

Dr. Korell has had some success with freeing up entrapped nerves - via an abdominal revision procedure.  Since I was desperate for relief from pain, I was willing to try anything that might help - in spite of Dr. Korell's explanation about scar tissue causing nerves to be trapped.  Had I not been so deperate and filled with hope, I might have used my analytical brain to realize (that the odds of a successful abdominal revision are unpredictable) my hope for success and pain relief was also unpredictable.

I knew I was taking a chance when I gave Dr. Korell my permission to perform an abdominal revision (like a bikini cut) - in addition to my adhesiolysis procedure.  Dr. Korell carefully applied both SprayGel and Intergel to the area where adhesions had attachd my bowel to the peritoneum in the RLQ - and to the area where adhesions had attached my omentum to the abdominal wall.

In spite of Dr. Korell's very careful and skillful surgical expertise, the abdominal revision was unsuccessful in eliminating the pain I continue to experience;  and the recovery from the abdominal revision has been a very painful experience!!

I can best describe the pain of entrapped nerves as a burning, knife-like pain that radiates throughout my lower pelvis and out to both of my hips.  Sitting exacerbates the pain;  however, I don't let the burning pain prevent me from sitting.  I rely on a psychological technique, known as distraction.  Distraction helps to prevent the full impact of pain messages from reaching my brain, the pain center. Distraction has worked very well for me for most of my life!!

To recapitulate:  scar tissue is NOT the same as adhesions!! To recapitulate: The scar tissue, that I'm referring to, is the scar tissue that forms within the tissues as a result of the incision made at the time of the surgery. As the tissues heal, scar tissue forms - creating a barrier that the severed nerves are unable to penetrate!!. Consequently, the nerves begin to "misfire" - and that's what causes the pain!! I'm not sure if my description of inter-tissual scarring is completely acurate; but I think you will get the picture.

Beverly Doucette was invited by Dr. Harry Reich to attend the International Society of Gynecologic Endoscopy (ISGE) Congress at Berlin in late April 2002. During a break Bev found the opportunity to open a discussion about laparotomy procedures and inter-tissual scarring.  In a matter of a few minutes, Bev attacted about a dozen surgeons, who also entered into the discussion.  Bev used my experience with inter-tissual scarring - that resulted from a laparotomy in 1970 - as the topic for discussion.

These highly educated and very experienced laparoscopic surgeons had NO idea that scarring from a laparotomy incision would cause debilitating pain!! Now they do know - including Dr. Reich.  Dr. Reich told Bev that he plans to write a paper about inter-tissual scarring!!

According to Bev, there isn't anything surgeons can do to "fix" inter-tissual scarring!!  Once nerves have been severed, nothing can be done surgically to restore the nerves to their former nerve pathways!!

Medical research has not found a way to prevent the human body from forming adhesions.  That is the reality!!  Medicine is still in the "Dark Ages" regarding  adhesion-formation and inter-tissual scarring!! Hopefully, someday soon medical research will discover "the key" that will provide surgeons with a barrier that actually will help to prevent adhesions.

Maybe SprayGel will be that barrier;  but we will never know until SprayGel clinical trials have been completed.  Currently, Confluent Surgical's SprayGel adhesion barrier continues to show real promise; but will be the long term results of SprayGel?  That's the million/billion dollar question.  I sure hope it is!!!

----__JNP_000_05cb.76ae.1916--

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: