Re: If you are considering surgery...

Sat Dec 28 20:38:07 2002

Dear April, Thank you for your kind words of appreciation. Yes, I did go to Germany for surgery - in November 2000 and again in January 2002. Dr. Matthias Korell, a very skilled and very experienced laparoscopic surgeon from the Klinikum Duisburg at Duisburg, Germany was my surgeon.

In 2000 I had surgery on November 7th, which was followed with a second look laparoscopy (SLL) on November 14th. I had given Dr. Korell my permission for him to use the adhesion barrier, Intergel, at the conclusion of my surgeries; however, for reasons of his own, Dr. Korell did not apply Intergel - and the pain of adhesions returned.

In 2002 I had surgery on January 15th. Dr. Korell applied both SprayGel and Intergel at the conclusion of my initial surgery and my SLL. More than eleven months have gone by - and I continue to be free of pain caused by adhesions. Dr. Korell also performed an abdominal revision - and it was not successful!! I continue to experience pain from this procedure. Not adhesion-related pain; but pain caused by nerves continuing to be entrapped!! I believe entrapped nerves from my 1970 laparotomy continues to be the source of my pain.

Your surgery at Frankfurt with Dr. Reich will give you the best chance for a successful adhesiolysis. In addition to the laparoscopic surgical expertise of Dr. Reich, you will have the advantages of Gasless laparoscopy, SprayGel adhesion barrier and a second look laparoscopy (SLL)!! So far these four preventive measures are proving to be successful.

If you haven't been in touch with Lisa Graven, please do so; because Lisa is the patient advocate for Frankfurt, Germany. Her email address is: Lilylover5555@aol.com .

It's good that you know you are taking a chance; because there are NO guarantees by ANY surgeons in the entire world. Someone has to lead the way - and you are mentally prepared to take this chance to regain your health. If no one was willing to try something new - such as what is offered at Frankfurt - medicine would never find an answer to the problems that adhesions create - not only for the patients but also for the families of an adhesion-sufferer - and also for the surgeons themselves!!

Best wishes to you for success with your upcoming surgery!! Also enjoy Germany while you are there!!

Love, Helen

P.S. I will be posting a revised version of " Intertissual Scarring from a laparotomy in 1970" - which will provide more information and possibly help to answer some questions you might have.

~ ~ ~ ~

Re: If you are considering surgery... From: AprilDe402@aol.com Sat Dec 28 16:31:33 2002

Hi Helen, I along with so many others, appreciate your experience and knowledge. If you don't mind, may I ask? Did you go to Germany for surgery, with what doc and what was your experience? I am scheduled for surgery in Germany with doc Reich in two weeks. There are not that many to talk to that have gone, but most are having good reports. I am of course hoping for some relief but I feel I am being realistic in recognizing this may not solve all my problems with pain. I thought I read somewhere that you are still suffering after going to Germany twice. Would appreciate your reply. Thanks, April

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: