Re: Chronic pain and anger management

Tue Nov 26 15:53:45 2002

At Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Littlerock29@aol.com wrote: >Hi Dave,

I have just read your message and I will try to help in any way I can. You have been such a wonderful person that it saddens me to hear about your anger. Did this start when you lost your loving baby pup? Please call your doctor and ask for a consultation with a counselor to work through this. There must be something that triggers this anger and maybe a professional can help. I know that you have been through so much already and there is no way that I could know the pain you are in but maybe asking for God's guidance and healing hands just one more time will lead you to your answer. I will pray for you and your pups because they too have feelings and are only trying to help you in the only way they know how which is to be by your side. Sometimes you feel smothered by all of the love and concern that your loved ones have for you but you know in your heart (which is a very loving one)that they only want to help. I wish you would try to take your anger out on maybe me on my own e-mail address to try to release some of it. Maybe that might help but like I said before, you have lost a lot and maybe you are in the anger stage of mourning. Please feel free to e-mail me at any time.

Your friend, Lynn >X-Mailer: Unknown (No Version)
>
>Hi Dave,
>You have been through an ordeal most of us can't even imagine, and even though your body did not die, part of your life did. This is undoubtedly part of what you are angry about. Add to that the unrelenting pain and the lack of control over your life and you can see that the losses in your life will cause anger if something is not done to help you work through this.
>While I understand your fear in discussing this with your doctor, your anger is expected for someone who hs been through what you have. Your doctor chould know this and not judge you for it. I doubt he/she will think it is the medication, from what you told me they already know that your pain has become chronic (This relates to what Barrows told you about surgery) and most people who live with chronic pain do become angry and depressed at times.
>I think you need to find a therapist that understands chronic pain and the loss and grieving process. You are in fact grieving the life you once had. It is a predictable path with several stages, and a good therapist can guide you through the stages. The fact that you recognize and are willing to do something about the anger is commendable. Again, I doubt you doctor will hold it against you. Good luck, Pat
> Littlerock29@aol.com wrote: I was ran over by a semi truck in 1994 in a head on collision. I could'nt find a surgeon who would touch me, even though I live in the land of Sooner football. I went to the best surgeons throughout the state and ws refused surgury because I had a spinal cord injury. I also had kidney failure due to the nerve damage, and no one would dare touch me. I spent time in every hospital in Oklahoma City and the surrounding areas only to be told that there was nothing that they could do. I contacted Johns Hopkins and sent them my files and MRI's, as I did with the Mayo clinic. Again I was turned away, and a friend who had just come from The Barrows Clinic in Phoenix, told me to send my files and MRI's to them. I was turned down by the chief surgeon, so I begged them to pass the files around to any and all surgeonson their staff. I recieved a phone call from a DR. Marciano, who told me that according to my records that I may, or may never walk again, but that he would do what he could to relieve my pain. I lay in intensive care for seven or eight days, wide awake and consciense talking to the doctors and nurses because of the severity of the pain. I hurt so bad that I could not sleep no matter what for the first seven or eight days in the hospital. I lay in intensive care for a month before I was transfered to physical therapy for another three weeks to a month. All of the DR.'s and nurses said that they had never seen a patient like me, and that I was on enough medication for four men. Naturally I returned to Oklahoma and went directly to pain management. I had to go through an assortment of medications to get my pain to where I could bear living, and I spent the next two years in bed doing my exercises before I could finaly get up and around the house. I am on an assortment of medication, which includes the Duragesic patches as well as m
d >ue to the high content of narcotics that I am on. I do decent through the summer months, and can live with the pain. I am a Christian and have hopes for a future, but during these last winter months, I have been battling excruciating pain and massive anger attacks, and I don't know why. I have always been real easy going, but in the winter months I have anger that wont quit until I take a handfull of pills. I become a loner and do not care to talk on the phone or even get out of bed due to the chronic pain. I have six pupies and they force me to get out of bed, however I want nothing else to do with life because of the pain. I have friends and family that call, and I dont even want to talk to them or the nurses that call to check up on me. All in all, what it comes down to, is the winter months drive my pain level through the roof, and lately I have found myself becoming very angry. I yell at my pups to get back in the house ,and I am ashamed of the way that I treat them. I hate to be around people for fear that I might yell at a friend over a little thing that amounts to nothing. Honestly I am afraid that if I dont get this anger under control that I may just as well shoot myself, because I am not the man that I usually am. I want to speak with my doctor, but I am afraid that he may misunderstand my situation with the anger and take me off of the medication and leave me in more pain. Any suggestions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated, and any information on pain and anger would be of great help. Thank you Dave
>
> Create a new beginning! The Finding Our Way chronic pain support program will change your life as you reach out to help others in pain. http://www.findingourway.homestead.com/index.html

--
A new friend

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: