Millie -- rectocele

Tue Nov 26 13:12:53 2002

Somewhere I followed a link (probably one of Helen's -- all the best links are hers, of course! :-) ) on rectoceles, and there was something along the lines of "some women find it necessary to put a finger or 2 in the vagina a push in order to get the stool out." In other words, it is NOT hopeless, and surgery is NOT the only treatment. If the problem is purely mechanical (in other words, simply a matter of things being the wrong shape and/or in the wrong place because the adhesions have pulled on them) then there IS hope that you can do some trial and error and figure out something that will make things work better. Awhile back Jo mentioned that squatting while you push rather than sitting on the toilet helps. (Do you know that until the sit-down latrine was invented in the 1600's, all humans squatted to go? Do you know that there are modern indoor toilets with a water supply that flush into a sewer that you squat over rather than sitting down? They are quite common for indoor plumbing in places known as "3rd world" countries. In some cases progress ain't all it cracked up to be! I know someone who claims that they are much better for completely emptying your bladder...)

But anyway, I think you should search around the web for info on rectocele and enterocele, and see if you can find a better description of the technique involved. And try squatting to push, too. Sure, it's possible that this won't help at all, but then on the other hand there are no side effects from trying. Which is a lot better than can be said for "trying" surgery!

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: