Re: clarification

Fri Nov 22 16:33:10 2002

This is Friday, and I am still looking at stuff written on Sunday, so perhaps someone else has already pointed this out already in the interim...

1) In order to retain copyright on anything that you have written, you do not have to register with any office or anything. All you need to do is put the words:

"copyright, " plus a date, plus your name, plus the words "all rights reserved."

You can also put something other than "all rights reserved" like for example, "copying allowed as long as the author is acknowledged" or "copying allowed only if you copy the entire document including this notice"

2) I think maybe you all must be nicer people than I am, because I can imagine all sorts of nefarious purposes that people's stories could be put to that the site's legal language protects everyone from even if just a little bit. Suppose Suzy Q Bellyhurts posted her story on the quilt that said, "I had surgery with Dr. ABC using barrier XYZ and the adhesions came back in 2 days. Two years later I had gassless laporoscopy in Germany with spray gel and now I am adhesion free!" Suppose that Dr. ABC made up a brochure that said "I had surgery with Dr. ABC using barrier XYZ and ... now I am adhesion free!" -- Suzy Q Bellyhurts. Since Dr. ABC took this from the quilt, the even if Suzy can't or won't take legal action to force Dr. ABC to cease and desist, Synchion could do so on its own behalf.

3) About the internet... When you post your story on the internet it is not in the public domain (which is a legal term meaning that you don't have a copyright on it) but it IS "in public" and accessible to anyone with access to the internet. I have been posting on the net for 14 years now. About 5 years ago I stopped using my first and last name on postings. Something to think about along with your own personal comfort level is to go to http://www.google.com and type in your first and last name and see what comes up. In my case some long ago discussions on soc.religion.christion about computer codes to give the exact date of Easter in an arbitrary year come up -- that puppy is archived all over the place! :-) But something to understand is that if your story shows up in google when you search for your name, it's not that google has "taken" your story. They simply have entered your story's location into their index, so that when someone searches on "adhesions" then the http://www.adhesions.org/quilt address of your story will show up on the list of things on the net which are related to adhesions.

If somebody else said all this already, just ignore me! :-)

At Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Helen Dynda wrote: >
>Karen, You are correct!!
>
>In June 1998 I posted my story for the very first time at the
>Healthseek.com forum - which is no longer on the Internet as of January
>2001.
>
>In October 1998 - while I was in the process of doing research on one of
>the Search Engines, I couldn't believe my eyes!! - I SAW MY STORY ON THE
>INTERNET...for everyone to read!!!!
>
>I had no idea how it got there; and I had no idea how to have it
>removed! There was only one alternative left!! I decided to leave my
>story on the Internet. This decision became the best therapy "in the
>world" for me!!
>
>In my story I mentioned that I was willing to share some of the best
>websites I had found about adhesions. Over a period of about three
>years - as people from around the world read my story on the Internet -
>I received more than 1,000 emails (Not all at once, thank goodness!!),
>from people who had read my story!!
>
>When I decided to "leave my story on the Internet", I have met some of
>the nicest people in the world, literally speaking. So many expressed
>their gratitude for my willingness to share information with them - and
>a side benefit for me was that these POSTIVE MESSAGES enabled me to
>block the full effect of pain messages from reaching my brain - a
>wonderful example of the mind-body connection!!
>
>I'm just sharing from my experience.
>
>Helen D.
>
>~ ~ ~ ~
>
>At Sun, 17 Nov 2002, kann wrote:
>>
>>Once your story is "posted", it is no longer your private story. It beco es
>>public
>>domain. I think that need to be clarified to eveyone.
>>karen

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: