Re: Questions about upcoming upper G.I. series/Small bowel follow-through.

Mon Nov 11 15:56:46 2002

Millie, My daughter has had that more times than we care to remember!! And, she ALWAYS had such a constipation problem. Seems the doctors would ignore us telling them she was SO constipated. Their answer: "just follow the nothing after midnight and don't worry about it"........EVERY TIME we would be there ALL DAY long with her drinking more and more barium because they "weren't seeing everything" or it hadn't gone all the way through. We always rc'd the same conclusion after those tests---that she has an area of bowel that is very narrow, thus all the problems. We talked to several gastro's about taking that part of the bowel out and they all refused-----saying as long as she could go they would not do it for fear of worse problems created from the site of re-connection. These were back in the days of us being told, "It s Crohn's"........Now, I look back and I am convinced it was ADHESIONS wrapped around that part of the bowel. Anyway, drink all the water you can hold after your procedure as that gets rid of the barium (I'm sure you already know this).... Will be praying for you. ((((((((hugggggsssssss))))))))))))))) Karen -------Original Message------- From: adhesions@adhesions.org Date: Monday, November 11, 2002 12:00:53 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Questions about upcoming upper G.I. series/Small bowel follow-through. Has anyone ever had the upper G.I./Small bowel follow through, where you drink barium? I have to have this done tomorrow morning. I need a few questions answered, please. I know that before they even give you any barium to drink, they do a plain film xray of your abdomen, called a scout film. My question is... why do they do this beforehand? ( There is no prep to do before this test, only fasting after midnight. ) When they do the plain film xray, is it possible that they are looking to see if you may have eaten, or that they are checking to see if you are full of stool, before taking barium? I am extremely concerned, as I have a horrible time expelling barium, and I haven't had a good b.m. in weeks. I am terrified of a blockage and more surgery if the barium will not pass. I m sure I'm not emptying out, probably due to adhesions. Do you think that I should mention this to the techs tomorrow, and also to the radiologist, as well as ask them if I am full of stool before they start? I know they cannot give me the actual test results. Thanks for any help. Millie.
--

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: