Questions about upcoming upper G.I. series/Small bowel follow-through.

Mon Nov 11 10:59:47 2002

Has anyone ever had the upper G.I./Small bowel follow through, where you drink barium? I have to have this done tomorrow morning. I need a few questions answered, please. I know that before they even give you any barium to drink, they do a plain film xray of your abdomen, called a scout film. My question is... why do they do this beforehand? ( There is no prep to do before this test, only fasting after midnight. ) When they do the plain film xray, is it possible that they are looking to see if you may have eaten, or that they are checking to see if you are full of stool, before taking barium? I am extremely concerned, as I have a horrible time expelling barium, and I haven't had a good b.m. in weeks. I am terrified of a blockage and more surgery if the barium will not pass. I'm sure I'm not emptying out, probably due to adhesions. Do you think that I should mention this to the techs tomorrow, and also to the radiologist, as well as ask them if I am full of stool before they start? I know they cannot give me the actual test results. Thanks for any help. Millie.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: