Re: Be Prepared For SSI & SSD Adhesion Complications!

Mon Nov 4 05:22:29 2002

If you don't mean to argue then don't sit there sounding like a know it all!!! If you don't live in this state { Florida } then you really don't have a clue just what people here go through to get disability!!!! See I knew this would happen,,, there is always someone out there that knows more than someone else. It's unreal that no matter how hard you try to be nice and helpful, based on your own experiences someone else is always going to shoot you down!!!! Let me tell you something,,, it is almost easier to leave this state go to another state and get SSI or SSD and then move back!!! Your more likely to get apporved!!!! It may be a "National Agency" but the people working there are still human and they don't give a rats *** who you are here or even how much your hurting!!!!! As for giving thenm names and dates ,,,, I DID and I even have the paper work that says THEY contacted my Doctor's,,,,, but THEY NEVER did!!!!! So please ,,, do me a favor,,,,, jump my case if you know for a fact what your talking about when it comes to Social Security here in Florida!!!!! You really don't have a clue what it's like here until you have tried to get Disability here!!!! I really find it ironic that almost every post I have made on this site ,,, and speaking from my own experiences ,,,, you people shoot me down faster than the print can post !!!!! What is it?? You don't think someone could actually have a hard time in this state??? Move here and try to get SSI or SSD I'm weilling to put money on the fact that you'll find out just whayt I am talking about!!!! Anyone want to place your bets????? Thanks for the rebuttal once again ,,, it is so nice to see how people can judge you for the experiences you've endured!!!!!!!!!

At Sun, 3 Nov 2002, K Nygren wrote: >
>I really don't mean to argue with you, but Social Security is a federal program. The guidelines are the same from state to state. The federal government realizes that Florida and Arizona, along with a few other states have higher percentages of Social Security recipients because of the large number of elderly people living there. In no way does that change anything for those people applying for disability benefits. There is no limit to the number of people that can receive benefits from any particular state. As I said, its a national program. The only reason there are different state agencies that "hear" disability claims is to make it easier for the claimants. When you file for disability benefits you are responsible for providing them with the names of doctors and hospitals....if you don't give them the names they will never contact them. It is ultimately your responsibility, when you are denied, to look over your file to make sure that they obtained all of the information that you gave them sources for. If something is missing then it is up to you to point it out. If you gave them the name, etc., then of course the fault lies with SSA....unless your health care provider failed to respond to the requests for information. As I said before, if the agencies are continuously failing to obtain information that people provide sources for then someone should be contacting supervisors, senators and congressmen to get some action taken to change this problem. Having dealt with two separate state agencies I never ran into a problem of this sort...in fact, I found information in my file from sources that I hadn't even mentioned. You mention that Florida has a higher percentage of denials...that can and does change from year to year. I believe that Florida also has a larger number of people on disability then most other states. When you apply for disability your problem must be expected to last at least twelve months. It must also preclude you from performin
g > just about any type of job. If a person is an executive and makes $100,000.00 he might still be denied disability because he could go to work as a dowel maker (by the way...that used to be their standard denial....everyone could go to work and make dowels). Granted, they wouldn't get paid $100,000.00, but they are still considered capable of working and performing substantial gainful activity which means earning somewhere around $700.00 per month.
>Yes, you might eventually need an attorney after your second denial. But, most people are fully capable of filling out the forms that are necessary to get them through to that point. If you are found disabled on your initial application or at the reconsideration you are just throwing away money (at least 30% of back pay) because the only thing an attorney would do at either of the first two levels is complete the forms. They make no appearances or anything. If people want to hire an attorney to help them through it all....go for it. I have nothing to gain by telling people they should wait until they file for a hearing. I don't get paid anything. I am just trying to save you money. You may eventually need an attorney...and yes, the likelihood is high, but if you can avoid having to shell out unnecessary money...why not? There are plenty of books out there that tell you how to successfully apply for disability. These are all written by people that used to be employed by SSA making disability decisions. You can check these books out at your library...you don't even have to purchase them. There is also a place on the internet that assists people. I have never visited it, but I know it exists. Plus, the knowledge on this site is very good. So much depends on how you present yourself and your disability. It does not, in any way, depend on what state you live in. It might take a longer time for them to make their decisions because there are so many claims...but they do not in any way say anything like....oh, we have met our limit of people on disability in this state...you will have to wait. If you are denied and take your claim through the entire appeals process you can reapply and start the whole process over, but your problem should have worsened. But, when you get to this point there are other things that you need to look out for. If you are applying for Social Security Disability and not SSI you will need to be aware of the point at which you wi
l >l lose your currently insured status. Just because you may have worked and paid in to the system for ten years (that's just a number out of the hat) doesn't mean that you are insured for benefits forever. There will be a point, if you do not return to work, that you become uninsured and ineligible for benefits. This varies from person to person. If you are eligible for SSI none of this applies. SSI eligibility depends on meeting two standards...one that you are disabled according to Social Security guidelines and two that you meet the financial standards that have been established in your state. This is the one thing that differs from state to state. There is a federal SSI benefit amount and then some states pay a state amount. This state amount varies from one state to the next.
>I hope that I have been some help to those considering applying for benefits. Please do not hesitate to ask questions.
>Karla
> dam_iame@bellsouth.net wrote:When filing for SSI or SSD, keep in mind that each state is different.
>Most states will and usually do work with you regarding Adhesions. But
>if you live in Florida, you must keep in mind, this is one of the most
>hardest states to get ANY kind of Social Security! Due to the large
>number of Senior's that come to retire in this state, Florida has one of
>the highest Social Security rates, therefore making it harder to receive
>it.
>In the state of Florida, if you are under the age of 50 and not have a
>life threatening illness, chances are you will not get SSI or SSD on the
>first or even the second try, regardless of whether or not they have
>told you that you "qualify"!! You can "qualify for a car, but not
>necessarily get it!!!! It is really important for your own knowledge to
>find out what the success rate of "approval" is for "Adhesions" are in
>your state.
>Since I do live in Florida and have been going through the "process" for
>over 3 years now.
>My case has gotten to the point that I have had to hire a lawyer since I
>have been denied 3 times now. Also, since the Social Security people
>here { Florida }, when researching my case history, never EVER once
>requested information regarding ANY of my 16 surgeries for Adhesions!!
>Another good example of how hard this state is, I have a friend, who at
>the age of 13 was shot temple to temple by another 13 year old boy.
>Although my friend survived, after months in a comma and lots of
>surgeries and even being blind in one eye, since the bullet severed his
>optical nerve, he too was denied for disability twice!!!!! It took a
>lawyer for him to even get SSI & SSD!!! My friend is now 26 years old
>and received his full disability when he turned 16!!
>Just keep in mind here, each state is different, so it is always best to
>stay in touch with your Social Security case worker. Make sure they get
>ALL records and testimonials from your Doctor's { which they did NOT do
>here in my case or in my friends case either}!!
>This is your life and your well being, it is very important to make sure
>that they ARE doing their job!! I wish you the very best of luck in your
>case. Do not ever give up hope even if your denied,,, just "RE-OPEN"
>the same case not a new one,,, and keep your chin up!!! The process can
>be at times, grueling and yes even frustrating, but you must continue to
>remain strong through out!! You will eventually win!!!
>Best of luck to you!
>Denise

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: