Re: hematomas after TAH/BSO

Tue Oct 22 13:41:51 2002

The short answer to this is that there is a very good chance that you have a tremedous adhesion problem. Bleeding in the abdomen is known to cause adhesions, which is why it is so important for the doctor to make sure that even the most microscopic oozer gets tied off before closing the surgical incision, and to make sure that the abdomen is washed out to get all the blood and goop out. But losing so much blood that you needed transfusions? Wow! That is a totally 'nother ball game. (What is it Emeril says? "Kick it up a notch!" Man, you got surgery kicked up a bunch of notches!)

The problem is that if you have formed adhesions in the places that were irritated by the blood, then those will not show up on any cat scan. Now if you still have some other problem, for example the hematomas are still there, or you have an abcessed infection, then that might show up. But if your only problem is the adhesions, then all tests are going to come up negative except for going in and doing more surgery to look at what is there. But, and the Catch-22 of all of this, that diagnostic surgery will cause the adhesions to get worse. And if they screw up again, it could cause things to get MUCH worse.

It may be that the reason your doctor is giving you all these weird mixed signals is that she knows that she screwed up really really badly. Especially if your hysterectomy was not absolutely totally necessary. You should definitely research this site about adhesions. There are a lot of people here who are in desperately bad shape because they were in bad shape and they needed the doctors "do something." But when you have adhesions, the only "something" that most doctors can do is to make things worse.

For now, though, I think that you should stay focused on making sure that there isn't something else wrong with you besides adhesions. And hopefully if there is something then it will be more treatable than adhesions!

At Tue, 22 Oct 2002, kathy wrote: >
>i was just told about this site and i was hoping someone might be able
>to give me some insight as to what may be going on. i had surgery on
>8/20 and the doctor missed a vein, nerve or something when she was
>sewing me up. to make a long story short, the next day they found out i
>was losing quite a bit of blood, did a catskan and found 2 very large
>hematomas. i had to have blood transfusions.
>
>i am still in a lot of pain in that area and just wondering if hematomas
>can turn into adhensions? the doctor finally agreed to order another
>catskan for the 30th of this month. her office has been very nasty to
>me and when i called to speak to her yesterday the nurse said she would
>not give her my message since she had a full day and i would have to see
>the np. well, when i got to the office and explained to the np what
>this very "lovely" nurse said she got my doctor very quickly. she did
>apologize and saw me. she said she would speak to the nurse that
>refused to give her my message.
>
>ok, this is getting too long. sorry. i'm just so alone and fustrated.
>i am thinking of getting my records and getting a 2nd opinion. i'm
>sorry i am not a text book hyst patient who should be fully recovered by
>now. i'm not and i'm tired of this treatment.
>
>so back to my original question. can hematomas turn into adhensions and
>if not, do the hematomas cause this much pain?
>
>thanks for listening
>kathy

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: