Re: Mothers Against Circumcision: Adhesions -- What are They?

Sat Oct 19 18:56:50 2002

Hi Helen, Most boys do outgrow the adhesions on the skin as mentioned in your article. However, some boys get adhesions from circumcision between the pubic fat pad and the internal parts of the penis which can lead to a "trapped penis" i.e. a shortening of the penis. This usually can only be corrected by surgery. I have this condition from my circumcision and it was not corrected as a boy or a teen. I am now an adult and I am going to go see a urologist in a few weeks to see what his recommendation is. From my experience I would definitely be hesitant to have any boy of mine circumcised!

At Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Helen Dynda wrote: >
>1.) Mothers Against Circumcision: Adhesions -- What are They? ... A lot of times children just "outgrow" this condition ... A Personal Account
>
>http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org/adhesions.htm
>
>"The new study by Van Howe just out in the BJU found that 29.7% of circumcised boys under three years of age have adhesions or skin bridges. They are a complication of circumcision. They form when two raw surfaces heal together. These tend to interfere with hygiene.
>
>Van Howe reported that balanitis (inflammation of the glans) is more common in circumcised boys. Perhaps some parents mistakenly believe that the circumcised penis is maintenance free and do not attend to penile hygiene when their son is circumcised. The foreskin has protective functions that are not available when the boy is circumcised.
>
>The penis is still in a developmental stage when boys are born. The foreskin and the underlying glans develop as one unit. They are bonded together by a common membrane. When left alone they naturally separate into separate parts after the boy is three or more years old.
>
>When an infant circumcision is performed these parts, which are united and bonded together must be torn apart as one tears Velcro apart. This leaves two raw surfaces - the surface of the glans and the inside of the foreskin. This part of the circumcision is called a synechtomy because the synechial membrane, which joins the two tissues is removed.
>
>When a circumcision on an infant boy is done, good procedure calls for the foreskin to be cut short enough that it will not overlay the glans. If the foreskin is cut long, the two raw surfaces will heal together and cause anadhesion. This adhesion has no interstitial synechial membrane and will notbreak down."
>
>PLEASE GO TO THE ABOVE WEBSITE TO FINISH READING THE ABOVE ARTICLE.
>
>~ ~ ~ ~
>
>2.) Mothers Against Circumcision: The Circumcision Decision: An Overview
>
>http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org/index.html
>
>~ ~ ~ ~

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: