Re: Greetings

Tue Oct 8 13:45:06 2002

Oh make no mistake. I am still in pain.

Yes, I am totally off meds forty-one days now. I had to. My sanity was at stake. I know that I will be seeking Pain Management again in the near future but at least now I will know a little more and be able to participate in choice of treatment instead of just trying anything they through at it.

However, in the meantime, YES I am using other techniques for dealing with the pain which I have practiced and develped over the last three years. First, I try to remember to breath. When I find myself acting like the the little train that could, I start taking deep breaths (from the diaphram) in through my nose (as slow as I can) and out through my mouth. This sends oxygen to the blood stream and I don't know why that helps but it is calming and allows me to set up for trying one of many alternative healings. I'll list them and then later post exactly how I work with each one: Reiki, bathing, color therapy, self-hypnosis, aromatherapy, dance, bed exercise, crystal/gem therapy, music and soothing tapes.

I must say that I did not give much credence to any of these holistic methods prior to this illness. But necessity being the Mother of Invention, well you all know the feeling, you'll try anything once right? Well, after trying these once and getting some relief I was hooked on trying other things that came along. I've been amazed at the results.

So your next question will probably be "Why go back to drugs?" Because there are times when the pain is so bad that it is impossible for my numbed mind to focus and then I'm in real trouble. I certainly hope that some day I will be able to control the pain without drugs but right now I'm a bit weak and want the help. What I'm not going to do is accept any drug for break through pain. I now know that I can do something about it holistically and that will be a great improvement.

What was I on when I weaned? 40mgs Methadone, up to 32 mgs Dilaudid, 25mgs Vioxx, 40?mgs Celexa and occasional Klonapin for panic attacks. All history now. When I go back I'm going to ask for Oxycontin ONLY because I think that it will be the easiest for me to work with.

So How about you? What meds are you on and how do you deal with break through pain?

Marla

At Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Tish wrote: >
>Marla...Welcome to the forum..sounds like you have been down alot of the
>same roads that most of us here have..and for that im sorry..
>I have one question regarding your post...did i understand that you are
>totally off of the pain meds..?? or did you just simply get off of them
>for a while to see how things were without them?
>If you are off of them..will you share with us ..how you fight the pain
>or are you out of pain now???
>
>Thanks...
>Hugs and Love...
>Tish
>
>P.S. And again welcome..and i look forward to hearing more about you
>and your ARD..story.

--
Marla Brownfield
Champaign, Illinois, USA