Clinical Trial Part 1

Mon Oct 7 12:19:23 2002

I have been in correspondce with a lady about a clinical trial in Australia. Here is my letters to her, and hers to me. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them, thanks!

Dear Lori, Thankyou for your inquiries into our adhesion trial, that were forwarded onto me from Dr.Wiseman. At the present we are in the last stages of recruitment with only another 8 patients to obtain. You sound as if you would be a good candidate, however distance is an obvious problem. As you need to be prepared to have 2 surgeries (3 months apart), plus follow-up consultations, this would mean a stay in Australia of approx. 5 months, or a return trip as necessary. One of my main concerns is that not all patients are suitable and some are withdrawn, at surgery,if the adhesions are too dense etc. I feel it is too far to come with this risk in mind. I know that you must be experiencing a lot of discomfort from your adhesions, and I am hopeful that Pumactant will soon be available as an option to help slow or cease the re-formation of adhesions after surgery. I am sorry, but I feel that at this stage I am not able to offer you anything else. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, so please don't hesitate to stay intouch. (My response)

Hi Kym,

I have to admit that I was alittle surprised to get your email. I do understand about the distance, but I was wondering.....

I have acouple friends in Australia, that I could possibly stay with. What do you guys cover as far as the trial? Surgery? Transportation there and home?

I am just wondering what out of pocket expenses I would be looking at besides, the cost to stay there 5 months, or the cost to go there twice.

I really dont want to give up on this idea. And I feel a sense of urgency since you only need 8 more people. I also see it as a sign that your Institute is called the Wesley Research Institute My sons name is Wesley :-)

When is the trial scheduled for? Sometime in the near future...Or more along the lines of a year or so from now.

I'm sorry to throw all of these questions at you, but I could not forgive myself if i just let this opportunity slip thru my fingers without some type of action from at least trying.

I do not believe my adhesions are severe, so I dont think you would find the adehesions are too dense. I have only had 3 surgeries for adhesions. And each time, NO barrier was used. I know women that has had 15-50 surgeries for adhesions and in my opinion, they are the severe cases.

Unfortunately I am not having any success finding a doctor here in California that will help me, much less even give me the time of day. Most doctors are telling me here that there is nothing they can do, and half of them think I am making the pain up. I am 33 years old, married and have two beautiful children. My husband and my kids just want their wife and mother back.

Could you please not exclude me yet...I would like to try to come up with the figure of a cost that you could give me, that I would be responsible for.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your reply Lori Mountford California, United States

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: