Re: What's happening?

Sat Aug 24 19:01:24 2002

Dear Karla, I am so sorry you are enduring so much. I wish I knew how to take away your pain, and make you better. Congrats on the soon-to-be grandbaby! I am so hoping that everyone who joins the IAS site, or even just takes the time to read your story, and so many others on the Quilt, will realize what so many surgeries can lead to. Hopefully they think twice. Karla, if your story, and your letter can make even ONE person think before going for surgeries, that, in and of itself will be a huge accomplishment. You are in my prayers, my Friend. Love, Millie.

> ----- Original Message -----
From: Karla To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 2:53 AM Subject: What's happening?

I just wanted to take the opportunity to write and let everyone know just what's been happening in my life. It is very hard for me to sit here through the pain and write this...both physically and emotionally...so I will try to make this brief.

As you all know I suffered another round of renal failure back a couple of months. My new urologist discovered that I had a blockage of my ureters to my kidneys...not just one ureter but both of them...my left was much more severe than my right. In the middle of July when I once again became extremely ill and was hospitalized locally my urologist came in and realized just how ill I was and had me transferred to a hospital better able to deal with me in a larger city nearby. It was there that they placed a nephrostomy tube through my back into my right kidney. This allowed my right kidney to drain much better and aided the left kidney somewhat...the left kidney had to backflow into the right kidney via the ureters (I guess) in order to drain. It was very apparent when they compared the drainage of my urostomy (which was the flow from my left and right kidney) to the drainage of the nephrostomy in the right kidney, that the left kidney was not functioning properly due to this blockage. I had to undergo three weeks of twice a day iv treatments with vancomycin. After a couple of hospitalizations for more infections, I underwent a procedure where they dilated the right ureter with a balloon and helped free the flow from that kidney. They could not correct the blockage to the left kidney. It was an extremely painful experience, but it also aided the flow of all of the infected urine built up in the left kidney to the right kidney and within 12 hours of the procedure I was back in the hospital with a severe case of urosepsis. It was decided by the urologist at this time to place a stent into my left ureter at the point of the blockage. This would allow for better flow, if the procedure worked, from the left kidney. I was discharged today....knowing that this procedure was unsuccessful and that there really isn't anything more that they can do. They will try to maintain the nephrostomy tube and the stent as when the tube is shut off my pain becomes totally u nbearable and my abdomen bloats to the point of looking nine-months pregnant within about 10 minutes. They did mention that they might consider another dilation in a few months but given the problems I encountered I don't think it is something that I am willing to undergo again.

God has seen fit to bless me with 46 years on this earth. He has given me a daughter, two granddaughters, my angelbaby grandson and now another grandchild soon to grace this earth. It is these blessings that keep me here...keep me fighting...but in realizing that it has taken my having to learn to say NO MORE to those doctors who so readily want to cut on me....and to say a silent prayer of thanks for those who said No. As I look forward to the birth of a new grandchild (by the way....congrats Raven!....nothing better than grandkids!), my feelings are quite mixed. There is a large amount of fear....not just in that this baby too might die, but fear in that our medical society doesn't seem to care. They don't seem to care how much so many people are suffering. They don't seem to look beyond their noses for the real answers. I ask that each and everyone of you say a prayer each day....that asks God to awaken the eyes of our doctors so that our children and grandchildren might avoid this pain and suffering we endure.

I don't know when I will be able to write again....but know that I try to keep up with each and everyone of you...even if you don't hear from me you are all in my heart!

God's blessings to all! Karla

Somewhere up in the stars................. My angel and me!

http://www.geocities.com/karlasfamily2001 http://www.geocities.com/princessd82000/BraydensHaven

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: