Re: Pain tolerance

Fri Aug 23 08:12:33 2002

Hi Caroline:

Welcome to the IAS. I am glad that you have posted your questions here. Although we are not Drs, we do suffer from the pain and complications associated with problematic adhesions. Please feel free to navigate this site as well as the bombobeach (Australian) site for information regarding adhesions. Search the archives under Helen Dynda, and you will find a wealth of information...and please read Karla Nygen's story on the adhesion quilt.

I have pelvic and intestinal adhesions, and I experience sort of intermittant pain. I get stages where all I am is sore, and not all of the time. Every time this happens, I'm so excited and I'm sure I'm cured!! :o) I am very fortunate that if I'm in pain, I can lay on my back and if I don't move the pain will usually go. I also have occasions that the pain is intolerable, and I have to struggle not to panic. I do not take any pain meds, other than Vioxx which I am on for arthritis, but which does help the adhesion pain some.

Traditionally, adhesions are diagnosed via laparoscopic surgery. Sometimes the effects of adhesions can been seen on GI tests, but usually by that point you would be so ill from an intestinal obstruction that you would be hospitalized.

Caroline, you mention that your biggest problem is constipation/diarreha, and I think that a full evaluation including a colonoscopy is a good idea to rule out any other possibilities.

Please don't feel as though you are rambling...that's what this forum is for. Ask us anything you want, and we will try our best to help you.

Best wishes.

--
Clare

At Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Caroline wrote: > >I know I have some form of adhesion due too a hysterectomy I had last >year. Haven't been dx yet, however from the research on this site and >various other resources I have been reading I have learned alot. My >pain is tolerable for now and sometimes I am painfree. I have been >reading on this post that everyone has constant pain and taking meds to >relieve the pain and I really symphatize with each and everyone. I am >wondering does anyone have intermittent pain? Are there moments that you >are pain free? My biggest problem is the constipation and sometimes >diarreha. More constipation. Another question, then I will stop >rambling. Can a coloscopy test tell if the bowels has adhesions on >them?

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: