Welcome Caroline

Fri Aug 23 10:07:57 2002

Dear Caroline,

I am so glad that you have started to research for yourself, possible causes for your mysterious and obviously troublesome pain.

I am pleased to note that so far your pain is intermittent, this is an important point from my personal experience. It is when we start talking to surgeons and possible "cures" for our pain that lead to more severe pain and an increase in the nightmare as well as loosing the relief of intermittent pain.

I am going to try and answer your questions as they come up in your post ok??

> My
>pain is tolerable for now and sometimes I am pain free. I have been
>reading on this post that everyone has constant pain and taking meds to
>relieve the pain and I really sympathise with each and everyone. I am
>wondering does anyone have intermittent pain? Are there moments that you
>are pain free?

OK, in the beginning, after MY Hysterectomy YES my pain was intermittent too and I did experience periods where I felt little to no pain. I started to experience increasing problems with my bladder however and was being treated by a urologist in hospital immediately after the surgery. There was a complication in my case and I required more surgery five days after my hysterectomy. (My full story can be found on http://www.bombobeach.com under the heading "ARD Stories") As time went by my pain became more constant and had I known at the time I would have researched and chosen my surgeon and method of surgery more carefully. That's why I now spend time here answering messages on this board and why I started my own adhesions support group.

What is your pain like? Is it a tugging pulling pain that turns into an ache that causes you to sweat profusely, shake and just want to crawl into bed roll up in a ball and hug a pillow?? That is one of the pains I used to live with…

My biggest problem is the constipation and sometimes >diarreha. More constipation.

You are asking some very good an important questions Caroline, many ARD (Adhesion Related Disorders) sufferers are wrongfully diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). I was also diagnosed with this problem too, most of us here have been at one time or another. The problem is that the adhesions do dreadful things to our bowel, often kinking it, making it narrow in some areas, but the most common is for it to be "stuck down" so that the smooth muscle of our bowel can't move the way it sjould to digest and get rid of our waste, hense the back & forth between constipation and diarreha.

Some ladies here have experimented and opt for a "soft diet" because it is easier to digest. I have serious bowel problems now, because mine was so stuck down, it simply doesn't work any more. Even though I have recently had surgery to remove the adhesions, my bowel doesn't work and I take heavy amounts of laxatives, certain medications and have to even resort to Pico prep (usually used to clean your bowel out completely before tests or surgery). I may have to return to hospital for a "bowel washout" and don't relish the thought at all!

I have had discussions with my doctor about how to deal with the pain etc associated with the problems caused to our bowel and he maintains that a high fibre diet and plenty of fluids are the best way to ensure that our bowel continues to work properly. I know this can be very painful and uncomfortable, BUT it is the only way we can ensure that our bowels continue to work as best as it can under the circumstances.

>Another question, then I will stop
>rambling.

You are not rambling, this board is a place to ask questions, vent and offer support as well as receive it. Never feel that your questions or posts aren't important, because everyone's post IS important. Self-education = power.... allowing you to make a better-informed decision in partnership with your medical professional. As far as I am concerned the only stupid question is one that hasn't been asked ;-)

Can a colonoscopy test tell if the bowels has adhesions on >them?

No, usually what happens is the scope will go all the way though even of you have adhesions restricting the bowels movement. IF you had a blockage somewhere, because the adhesions have strangled your bowel, then the scope wouldn't go through, and trust me, you would be very ill indeed and in constant pain, sweats and vomiting. The only way to confirm adhesions is via a diagnostic laparoscopy, which in itself can cause adhesions, although far less than an open incision or laparotomy.

There is some really good information here on the IAS site, and I hope you will pop over to bombobeach and explore it too. There is a "How to Cope" section which you might find useful and this weekend my Webmaster & I will be working on a new section giving details of my recent surgery and my new lease on life.

Caroline, please think carefully before considering a surgical solution, if you are coping with your pain OK, take this time to really research this topic and seek as many opinions from doctors as you can. You need someone who believes that adhesions cause pain and that pain management and treatment is necessary eventually to relieve the mind numbing pain. I was fortunate enough to have a new adhesions barrier used during my last surgery called SprayGel and I am the best I have been in years! Visit bombo for the rest of that story.

I hope my post helps you and please don't hesitate to leave a message here, on the bombo message board or write to me personally of you have any more questions.....

--
Love and gentle hugs,
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer
reaching out to help others.