To Nancy Re: Thank you all

Thu Aug 22 11:41:37 2002

Nancy:

The nap may or may not be a side effect of the drugs you are on. I take only vioxx at night, and there are many times I really need to at least put my head down during the day.

Pain, in itself, can be very exhausting, as we well know.

Wishing you all pain free moments, hours and days.

--
Clare

At Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Nancy E. Hale wrote: > > From http://www.rxlist.com I obtained the following info on Oxycontin: > >For Oxycontin: > >>WARNING >> >>OxyContin® is an opioid agonist and a Schedule II controlled substance >>with an abuse liability similar to morphine. >> >>Oxycodone can be abused in a manner similar to other opioid agonists, >>legal or illicit. This should be considered when prescribing or dispensin >>OxyContin® in situations where the physician or pharmacist is concerne >>about an increased risk of misuse, abuse, or diversion. >> >>OxyContin® tablets are a controlled-release oral formulation of oxycodon >>hydrochloride indicated for the management of moderate to severe pain whe >>a continuous, around-the-clock analgesic is needed for an extended perio >>of time. >> >>OxyContin® tablets are NOT intended for use as a prn analgesic. >> >>OxyContin® 80 mg and 160 mg Tablets ARE FOR USE IN OPIOID TOLERANT >>PATIENTS ONLY. These tablet strengths may cause fatal respiratory >>depression when administered to patients not previously exposed to opioids. >> >>OxyContin® (oxycodone hydrochloride controlled-release) TABLETS ARE TO B >>SWALLOWED WHOLE AND ARE NOT TO BE BROKEN, CHEWED, OR CRUSHED. TAKING >>BROKEN, CHEWED, OR CRUSHED OxyContin® TABLETS LEADS TO RAPID RELEASE AN >>ABSORPTION OF A POTENTIALLY FATAL DOSE OF OXYCODONE. >> >>OxyContin® (oxycodone hydrochloride controlled-release) tablets are an >>opioid analgesic supplied in 10 mg, 20 mg, 40 mg, 80 mg, and 160 mg table >>strengths for oral administration. The tablet strengths describe the >>amount of oxycodone per tablet as the hydrochloride salt. >> >>Its molecular formula is C18H21NO4 · HCl. Its molecular weight is 351.83. >> >>The chemical formula is 4, >>5-epoxy-14-hydroxy-3-methoxy-17-methylmorphinan-6-one hydrochloride. >> >>Oxycodone is a white, odorless crystalline powder derived from the opium >>alkaloid, thebaine. Oxycodone hydrochloride dissolves in water (1 g in 6 >>to 7 mL). It is slightly soluble in alcohol (octanol water partition >>coefficient 0.7). The tablets contain the following inactive ingredients >>ammonio methacrylate copolymer, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, lactose, >>magnesium stearate, povidone, red iron oxide (20 mg strength tablet only) >>stearyl alcohol, talc, titanium dioxide, triacetin, yellow iron oxide (4 >>mg strength tablet only), yellow iron oxide with FD&C blue No.2 (80 mg >>strength tablet only), FD&C blue No.2 (160 mg strength tablet only) and >>other ingredients. > >This explains what Oxycontin is used for. Most GPs in Canada at least wil >start you on Percocet or equivalent before they give you Oxycontin - >Percocet is the same drug in an acetominophen combo which is not extended >release. > >I have been on Oxycontin with Percocet for breakthrough pain since >March. The only side-effect that I have suffered is slow-moving >bowel. There are days that I need to lie down for a nap, but those are >usually days that I have been too active. > >Hope this answers your questions. > >Hugs, > >Nancy in NB > >Help spread the word. Find out more about National Invisible Chronic >Illness Awareness Week September 23-29, 2002, at >http://www.invisibleillness.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: