The surgery question - my thoughts

Fri Jun 21 09:32:34 2002

Hi everyone:

I've been around this forum for about 9 months now, and I would like to reveal my views on the question of whether or not to have surgery....

I understand and support that in a lot of cases, too many surgeries are being performed and that they often result in adhesions related problems. With each surgery, we face more potential complications. That said, once you have complications from adhesions, what do you do? I've read so many posts that say 'no more surgery', and perhaps in an ideal world that would work, but it is not an ideal world and people suffer so much with the pain related to this disorder that I believe it's quite understandable when someone decides to have another surgery.

Yes, I've read the many, many, testimonies (my own included) of those who've had an adhesiolysis performed, only to be the same or worse shortly thereafter. And I've read posts from those who's Drs have prescribed narcotics and anti-depressants, and those people are doing well, at least for a while. I've read how alternative methods can help - visualization, TENS, nerve blocks, breathing exercises, etc. I've tried some of these alternative methods and they have helped me a bit. I even know a man who has had wonderful success with exercise!

But what do you do when the pain is back with a vengence, your Dr won't prescribe proper pain meds, they don't work or you can't deal with the side effects? What do you do when you've tried everything you can think of and nothing eases the pain enough to let you just breath in a normal fasion? What do you do when the cycle of pain takes over your existance, putting extra stress on your family etc.?

You do the best that you can do in your situation.... If you're lucky you'll track down the best surgeon you can find, and talk him/her into using one of the new gel barriers. You have the surgery, and perhaps things will be better - you may have less pain for a while or forever. Yes, it's a gamble. You might be worse than before, but with a lot of luck you just might be pain free.

I have also read messages from those who had successful adhesiolysis. Unfortunately, they don't post often as they no longer are in need of support. I would like to propose a section called success stories, that could be updated regularly. I think it would help those of us who are fighting this battle. It would give us hope, and helpful pointers to get to that ever so elusive pain free state!

Once a person has armed themselves with all the information they can gather, and regardless whether it's their 2nd surgery or their 42nd surgery, I would like to state that I empathize with and support them in their decision. It takes a lot of courage for someone to have a surgery hoping for improvement but knowing that it may make things worse. I think that it says a whole lot about how badly they are suffering, and how much they need our prayers and support. I also support those who chose not to have surgery as well, but today I am concerned about how those facing surgery feel.

We are a forum for support for those who have adhesions and their related problems. I would like to say that although I think it takes a lot of gumption to be any of us, I believe it takes a tremendous amount of courage to have a surgery while knowing what we know. To those of you who have recently had or are facing an upcoming surgery, please know that I support and fully understand your reasons why. I also think you are very brave.

Wishing you all pain free moments, hours and days.

--
Clare

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: