How I feel - by Courtney Eslick

Fri Jun 14 04:29:10 2002

How I Feel

I have been through a lot these last few years, my mum has been very sick and she suffers with a lot of pain. Mum spends more and more time in her bedroom because the pain makes her feel so sick.

When mum wants to come to school because of Emma's Year Ten mad night, she had to rest for almost two days in bed before it so that she would be able to sit in the chair for the whole thing.

Sometimes mum's pain gets so bad that she has to go into hospital for rest and better pain medication. I have been really worried about her, when she had her first operation I thought she wasn't going to make it and it upset me. I kept it all bottled up inside of me.

Mum would always tell us that she wasn't going to die, and one way she keeps in contact with us is through a journal. My sisters and I all have one and we would write letters to her and tell her about school and other things.

Sometimes I wonder why mum was chosen to have Endometriosis but now I know why, it is so that she can help others who have endo and adhesions like her. Mum talks to other ladies who have it because she understands how they feel and she helps them get through it.

Mum has told us that she is working to make sure that my sisters and I don't have to go through what she has. Emma has some of the same things that mum had when she was her age and the doctor isn't sure yet if she does. I hope Emma doesn't have it because it's been hard on all of us.

Mum's parents have moved back to Bathurst to be closer to us. Sometimes when she reads out some of the things that people have said to her it makes her sad and she cries.

This year we tried to get Ground Force to do the backyard for mum & dad but they don't come to Bathurst. So we told mum & dad what we tried to do and that made her cry too. Sometimes I feel there is something I should do to help her or give her that says I love you and I am worried about you and I think of you a lot mum. ________________________________________________________

I have re-posted my daughters message on the board tonight for a reason, ________________________________________________________ we must not loose sight of the fact that while we suffer the pain & disability of adhesions, our family, children, partners & loved ones feel our pain in other ways. Courtney's message was a paper she wrote for her English class and then asked me if she could post it on bombobeach. This message has prompted other kids to start talking to their parents about how they feel and one or two expressed the wish to meet with other kids in the Beach Club Chat room to talk to each other and explore hoow each copes with us being so "housebound".

So, Saturday morning 15th June: Aussie time from 10 am to 11am and for US & Canadian kids Friday Night 14th June: 8 pm to 9 pm Eastern Standard Time

I hope you will encourage your kids to participate, the chat will be supervised by my Australian friend and Webmaster of http://www.bombobeach.com along with my 16yr old daughter Emma. The rules are no swearing, no misbehaviour and NO ADULTS!! The idea is to allow the kids time to talk to one another without us, the parents interfering and stopping the flow of discussion. This is an experiment to see if we can help our children understand and perhaps cope a little bit better knowing that they aren't alone either, other children also have to deal with a parent who is restricted in activities.

It is my hope that Friday/Saturday's chat will be successful and that we will be able to organise other chat sessions for them.

I hope you approve of this idea and will support it in the spirit that it is meant..........

--
Love and gentle hugs,
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer
reaching out to help others.