Re: Have operation or live with nausea

Fri Jun 7 22:33:06 2002

Jim, I also had a major problem with meds not helping my nausea. Phenergan is the only one that works for me, in case you haven't tried it yet. I take 25 mg. of Phenergan right before I take a pain pill or I throw up. I can also take more if needed. If I still get sick I eat a piece of buttered toast which helps me for some reason...... coating the stomach I guess (usually after my evening pain pill kicks in).

I also take 20 mg. Prilosec every day for my ulcer and Hiatal Hernia which might also help with your stomach, worth a try if the doctors want to also try that. I couldn't live without my Prilosec and don't let them tell you the new pill Nexium is better because it made me and also a friend worse so we switched back to Prilosec.

Good Luck, JEAN

“You were born an original. Don’t die a copy” -John Mason

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf Of Jim Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 2:46 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Have operation or live with nausea

Three years ago I had surgery for a complete bowel obstruction. The surgeon found the bowel was “twisted” but did not know why. He also removed my appendix claiming it was diseased. I’m still not sure why, but the Gastroenterologist thought my gal bladder my have been part of the problem, so a couple of weeks after they opened me up for the blockage, they did a laparoscopic procedure to remove it.

Last year I had another complete blockage. This time they found my gut was “frozen” being completely bound with adhesions. It took the surgeon over three hours to cut all of them.

I have suffered from constant nausea since that operation. No pain, just nausea. After months of tests they finally did a procedure called enterolysis, where they put an NG tube through my stomach into my small intestine and then filled it with barium. This showed without a doubt a partial blockage of the small intestine.

My Gastroenterologist thinks the surgeon may have missed an adhesion, since I have had the nausea since the operation. He referred my to a surgeon at Froedtert’s in Milwaukee who is experience at latroscopily removing adhesions.

My questions is should I live with the nausea or take a chance on the operation causing more problems. I do not have any pain, just constant nausea. No medication seems to help the nausea.

Thanks

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: