Have operation or live with nausea

Fri Jun 7 13:44:22 2002

Three years ago I had surgery for a complete bowel obstruction. The surgeon found the bowel was “twisted” but did not know why. He also removed my appendix claiming it was diseased. I’m still not sure why, but the Gastroenterologist thought my gal bladder my have been part of the problem, so a couple of weeks after they opened me up for the blockage, they did a laparoscopic procedure to remove it.

Last year I had another complete blockage. This time they found my gut was “frozen” being completely bound with adhesions. It took the surgeon over three hours to cut all of them.

I have suffered from constant nausea since that operation. No pain, just nausea. After months of tests they finally did a procedure called enterolysis, where they put an NG tube through my stomach into my small intestine and then filled it with barium. This showed without a doubt a partial blockage of the small intestine.

My Gastroenterologist thinks the surgeon may have missed an adhesion, since I have had the nausea since the operation. He referred my to a surgeon at Froedtert’s in Milwaukee who is experience at latroscopily removing adhesions.

My questions is should I live with the nausea or take a chance on the operation causing more problems. I do not have any pain, just constant nausea. No medication seems to help the nausea.

Thanks

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: