Re: Adhesions....Can They Return?

Wed Apr 24 17:32:21 2002

This is a very late reply to your message, but I have recently found this site and thought the information might help someone else. In my experience, adhesions do come back and very quickly. I had lysis of adhesions during a laparascopy in August 2001. Two doctors spent two hours removing the adhesions. Three weeks later I needed emergency gall bladder removal. The surgeon noted I had extensive dense adhesions that had reformed.

Here's an excerpt from Chronic Pelvic Pain: An Integrated Approach in John Steege's essay, Adhesions and Pelvic Pain that really hit home for me:

"Many observers have noted that the formation of adhesions follows the chronology of the healing process after peritoneal injury. That is, adhesions begin to be seen within 1 to 2 weeks after peritoneal insult. Despite this early regrowth of adhesions, pain associated with adhesion re-formation often does not begin until 1 to 3 months after surgery or later. The reasons for this delay are rather unclear. Contraction and mechanical shortening of the adhesions may play a part. The role of the possible ingrowth of nerves into the adhesions has been preliminarily explored in only one study, with inconclusive results."

My pain returned in November, about three months after my laparascopy. It is now being partially controlled with neurontin, an anti-seizure medication, and despiramine, a tricylic anti-depressant. After a recommendation from the ob-gyns at the University of Iowa, I am considering a trial of depo-lupron to see if the left ovary is involved as the pain has always been on the same place on the left side. My adhesions result from a myomectomy and two C-sections.

I would be interested in hearing from other women suffering from abdominal adhesions and what has or hasn't worked for them. Thanks. Marilyn

At Sun, 25 Mar 2001, destinywants2@yahoo.com wrote: >
>Hi, I have had 6 operations for Chronic Pelvic Pain and ultimatley a
>Hysterectomy a year ago. my question is can you have adhesions come
>back and cause pain? I have had some abdominal pain for about a month
>now and it seems to be gettin worse. I was just curious to know if they
>can return and cause this type of problem. Thanks

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: