Clare

Fri Mar 29 23:56:06 2002

Clare, The pain patch or pain pump "might" be a better idea for someone with an addictive nature "if" they are in "unbearable" pain. They couldn't be abused as easily. It isn't something you can crush or snort, which is what addicts usually do for their high. I have never heard of addicts using these for a "high" but I could be wrong so I would check into it first.

I know someone who had a problem with illegal drugs and alcohol in her past. She was put on the pain pump when she developed severe medical problems requiring strong pain medication. I know you do have to watch what you take when you have addictive tendencies or it can start the addictions up all over again. It is like an alcoholic drinking just one......no such thing with an addictive nature!

If you went to a rehab for your addiction in the past they would probably be good ones to ask their opinions on the matter. I understand your fears very well since I have a daughter with severe addiction problems!! One wrong move and you can open the can of worms again. She also thought she could have just one and do what other people could do but since she has an addiction problem it is and was impossible for her to do!! I have never had an alcohol or illegal drug problem and don't have an addictive nature but I am a smoker and know how hard it is just trying to quit smoking.

One is never enough and just the thing that starts the addictions right back up again, and all the previous work to kick the habit or addiction has been lost! I know another person who was (is) messed up terribly by her drug addiction and even spent time in jail. She got sick years later and a doctor who was unaware of her past gave her narcotics for the pain and this started her right back up again with her addictions and illegal drugs!

I would hate to see someone get messed up again after working so hard to overcome an addiction. I commend you for accomplishing that!!

Regardless what narcotics you use you will probably have to be weaned off of them if and when the time comes because of the body's "dependency" of the drug. There are lots of non-addictive drugs that aren't even pain pills but people must be weaned off of them due to the body's dependency on them. It has nothing to do with addiction. Any drastic change is a shock to the body so it must be done gradually.

If you can function without having to resort to opiods and the strong meds for the pain of course that is always the best and safest way to go!

Wishing you the best, JEAN

"Unless you have walked in someone else's shoes you will never know how they fit"

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf Of Sally Grigg Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 11:50 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Clare from Sally

Dear Clare, Whine away, that's what we are here for. And by the way, you can tell me you are an exdrunk, but please stop telling doctors and other professionals. They have the minds of a small peanut and can't process the idea that you could be better and off the booze.

It's also not good to have it in your chart. Downplay it if it comes up again. Life is weird, you have to know how "to play the game". Now I'm not saying that you should take opiates, maybe they would be wrong for you if you know already that you have an addictive personality and we don't want to cause you more troubles than you have already. I guess it depends on the level of pain. and Also on how strong you have become going through the process of getting off alcohol. I'm lucky. I throw up, I also throw up with too many pills also. I guess this is a blessing in disguise. I also have a very strong family background of four generations of ministers who were all stuborn as mules, so we never had alcohol in the house until I was grown up.

Sorry to prattle on and on, there's no easy way if you can't take opiates and you are in very bad pain. But maybe there is some medicine out there that I don't know about. I'm sure there is. Ask the board and read the back emails. They're just a fountain of information. http://www.adhesions.org Love and hugs, Sally

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: