Re: Addiction and Tolerance to Dihydrocodeine>> Is there a way to withdraw successfully?

Mon Mar 11 22:21:29 2002

I have been taking Dihydrocodeine on a regular basis (Daily) for 12 years, from the age of 18. I have built up quite a high tolerance to them in this time, but find i have absolutely no problem in stopping taking them for any length of time from a week to a month. I have an extremely high pain threshold. The main problems people have in stopping is that they are constantly being told it is a dangerous and highly addictive drug. It isn't. The doctors handbook (MIMMS) states that : " Despite contrary beliefs, Dihydrocodiene when administered for pain relief is non addictive" I regularly take between 240mg and 360mg per day. I have on a really bad day been known to near the 500 mark. I get on my prescription 100 30mg tablets and can run out in 6 days. Yet i can just stop taking them without it bothering me. I do take a less adequate painkiller because i am always in constant pain day and night and have been for the majority of my life, but i find that i can put up with the pain for the reason that. If i carried on taking the Dihydrocodiene i would become so immune to them that they would have no effect whatsoever. You may find that your friend has also been told that the next step up is morphine. Once again this is untrue. Actually if you go onto http//www.google.com and search for dihydrocodiene there are plenty of sites that will tell you that it is far inferior to believe it or not, Ibuprofen. I myself was quite shocked to find this out. Dihydrocodeine tablets can also go up to a strength of 120mg per tablet. I hope i may have helped you in some way. If there is anything else i can do to help you, don't hesitate to e-mail me. Believe me it really is all in the mind when you are always being told that it is addictive. It is easy. It is far more difficult to give up smoking i know that one.

At Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Helen Dynda wrote: >
>I received an email from a fellow adhesions-sufferer who has become
>dependent and has developed a tolerance to the medication he is taking.
>Dihydrocodeine is an opiate agonist medication. In his letter he said:
>
>"The pain controlling medication that I am using is Dihydrocodeine
>180mgs a day. Unfortunately I have become dependent on this and it no
>longer offers the amount of pain control I now need. I am also on
>Amitriptyline but only 25mgs a day."
>
>Since I do not have an addiction and tolerance to the medications which
>I take for chronic pain, I would like to know if any of you have
>experienced addiction and tolerance to any of the medications which you
>have taken...and if so, were you able to be detoxified successfully from
>that medication?