Re: ADHESIONS digest 1787

Sat Feb 9 06:14:54 2002

In a message dated 2/7/02 10:06:14 AM Pacific Standard Time, adhesions@adhesions.org writes:

>
> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:02:03 -0600 (CST)
> From: jenellis2001@yahoo.com (Jennifer)
> To: ADHESIONS@OBGYN.NET
> Subject: wow!!!!!!!! pain
> Message-ID: <200202071802.g17I23J01108@mail.medispecialty.com>
>
> I got my period today and do to the adhesions all my organs are spasming
> not just my uterus. the pain is really bad I try to excersize to help
> but that is difficult when you insides feel as though they are ripping
> apart!!!! well I guess I just wanted to complain to someone who
> understands but any tips would be very welcome!
>

Dear Jenillis2001:

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much pain. Cramps are bad enough, without adhesions. The uterus is the strongest muscle in our bodies (stronger than the heart), so the contractions we have during cramps or childbirth can hurt worse than a heart attack.

I've had awful cramps since I was 12. They got worse every year, and now I know I have endometriosis, and "massive, extensive adhesions throughout" my pelvic/abdominal cavity & organs. I haven't had a pain free day in 20 years.

You don't say how old you are, and whether or not you have children, but if you're in that much pain you may want to discuss it with your Dr., and try & determine if you too have endometriosis -- you can be diagnosed WITHOUT surgery. If you're posting on this board, I assume you know that you know surgery causes adhesions.

Some of the symptoms of endometriosis are; severe menstrual pain, a "pulling" and/or "tearing" feeling, heavy bleeding and/or tissue passing during your period (passing large pieces of tissue through a closed cervix is a whole new level of pain), pelvic congestion, pain during intercourse, infertility and cysts in the pelvic cavity (they can usually be seen with ultrasound). I DO NOT recommend "exploratory" surgery (usually a Laporoscopy) for your diagnosis, as it can make you so much worse. Perhaps you have (or can find) a Dr. who would be willing to try treating the endometriosis w/o diagnostic surgery. I'm so scarred I'm no longer a surgical candidate (ten surgical procedures, a ruptured ovarian cyst & gangrenous fallopian tubes), so my Dr. was willing to treat me for endometriosis. The treatment helped, but there's no cure and I'm not able to use the pill, so I'm back to a progressive disease. I can't stress strongly enough that anyone with severe cramps should tell your Dr. about them. I wouldn't wish this hell on anyone & pray you'll be well again soon. Women who are diagnosed & treated early are much better off.

As far as tips for dealing with cramps, if your Dr. feels it's appropriate, you may want to take Ibuprofen (or another anti-prostoglandin, like Aleve) every 4 hours (start this 1-2 days before you expect your periods for best results). You may want to take a hot bath, or use a hotpad on your lower back or abdomen to help ease the contractions. I find hanging upside-down on an inversion table helps, too. It takes the weight of your internal organs off your uterus & that can make you feel better in so many ways. Check with your Dr. before you try this, however, as it may not be advisable for people with high blood pressure & other conditions.

You have my thoughts and prayers, as do the others using this site.

I'm having a rough time myself lately, and things are about to get worse, as my Dr. plans to take me off my pain killers now, after 10 years of barely living, with the Rx.

I would really appreciate any kind notes, from anyone who has the time & ability to write to me. Thank you all, either way.

In kindness;

Chris36963@aol.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: