Welcome back, Chrissy/Sally

Wed Feb 6 13:18:39 2002

Dearest Chrissy, No of course its not right to turn people away who need help, but its also true that doctors are afraid. Over the years I've come to realize they are more scared than we are. I've just found out that an old doctor of mine can't stand blood. Go figure. That really cracked me up. He actually apologized to me for the way in which he treated me. Four years ago I was crying in his bathroom and he wouldn't prescribe pain meds, only give me lectures on depression. After all this time he has finally come to realize that unrelieved agony can cause a person to be really depressed.

Anyway, it was an interesting conversation. He asked me to forgive him. He didn't really think adhesions caused pain those four years back. People can change and we need to work on that instead of letting our anger get the better of us. I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I'm just rambling. Sorry.

I Talked to Mary Pomeroy recently and she's hoping to go to Dr. Korrel in Germany the very end of March for surgery the beginning of April. I'm not ready for another operation. Does anyone want or need to go? It's always nicer to travel with friends than alone. I hope I'm not overstepping the boundaries here, but she's so nice and its scarey to go to Germany alone. If you want to go, you can email me and I'll talk to her.

I don't know if you understand what a doctor has to do if someone is overweight. When my Daddy was in the hospital, the next room was occupied by a woman who was fifty pounds overweight. Her husband and family were all there and our two families had homesteaded the general area a couple hundred years ago, but I didn't really know them. But she had a massive infection in her abdomen. Unfortunately I got to listen to the doctors and nurses treating her and it was really hard to treat her as the "fat" got in the way. Now I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this because everybody is different - different genes, diet, body build etc. But they couldn't really get the infection out because the accumulations of fat interferred with everything they tried to do. And they really tried. So I do have some sympathy for doctors who want their patients to lose some weight so they can find the organs easier. It's really difficult to operate on someone who is overweight.

I know I'm out of line and I hope I don't make you all upset. I guess the doctor figures that a person needs to help themselves too. But I also know that no matter how hard you try some people can not lose weight. My lovely cousin is loing to be 200 pounds all of her life, if not 250 lbs. But that doesn't mean we don't love her. It does mean that if she needed abdominal surgery, the doctors would be upset and not want to do it. Well, I'd better close before I say something that will get me further in trouble. Just don't beat yourself up over who you are. You are who you are, and if you are Chrissy's friend that automatically means you are "good people". Love and prayers, Sally

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: