>seen actually said I have adhesions although I've known it for a long
>time. My last doctor, after doing a laparoscopy and cleaning up tons of
>"very dense adhesions" told me he doesn't think adhesions were my
>problem although he had no other explanation. Dr. Diamond said he was
>about 98% sure adhesions are my problem, but he wouldn't do anything
>unless I developed serious problems, like bowel obstruction. He said I
>wasn't crazy, or that it was all in my head. He recommended that I go
>to painmanagement to try to live with it. He recommended a colo-rectal
>surgeon in Cleveland if I get to the point of needing something done.
>That is over a 2 hour drive for me, and I'm not sure if I would be able
>to handle that if I end up with an obstruction. But I guess I'll deal
>with that if I ever get to that point. I was hoping to have a doctor I
>am comfortable with already familiar with me and my case. Oh well I'm
>nowhere close to that point right now. It was nice to talk to
>him,someone that is sympathetic to what I'm going through. He was very
>nice, and concerned that I find a way to deal with this. I have my
>first appointment at the pain clinic tommorow. I'll let you all know
>how that goes, just wanted to tell you that I was very pleasantly
>surprised how well my appointment with Dr. Diamond went.
>
>--
>Lisa
>

Dear Lisa,

I'm glad your appointment with Dr Diament went so well. Good on you! I'm also glad that you are going to the pain clinic, I hope and pray that you get the help you deserve.

I wanted to make a comment on your comment "I'm not sure if I would be able to handle that if I end up with an obstruction".

Lisa, I get very frequent bowel blockages, on average a couple a week. Believe me! It is something you can handle, I do. I haven't been hospitalised in the last 10 months. O.k. I am as stuborn as a mule - or so my husband tells me - and I absolutely HATE hospitals - but I've got a strategy going which is (up to now - touch wood) working well. I'll explain to you what happens to me and what I do.

I'll usually notice that something isn't right because all of a sudden I won't be able to eat as easily as *normal* (I'm not sure that normal is the right word - as I am anything BUT normal!) If I do manage to get a small amount of food down and I've got a bowel obstruction I usually will vomit it right back up - or I'll feel really nauseas for a really long time. I'll also get increased pain - usually in one particular spot - but not always the same spot. I then ring my doctors clinic and I tell my doctors nurse to tell my doctor that my stupid gut has done it AGAIN! (But I only ring if it happens during the week - if it's during the weekend I don't let anyone know - if I were to speak to someone who doesn't know me they would panic and demand I go to hospital immediately. Then I immidiately stop eating solid food and go on a LIQUID DIET. (If I don't I might as well pack my bags - because I'll deffinately end up in hospital!)I usuallly end up lying down in bed a lot until it goes away again - but I also get up often as walking helps to keep things moving. While lying in bed I massage my tummy - even though frequently I feel honestly that I couldn't possibly touch it! So often these days can I get things moving a lot quicker by manipulating my own gut, I start at my pelvis on the right hand side, and really work my fingers into my belly, and I slowly move in a clockwise direction. Usually I encounter where the trouble is because I can feel a hard mass - then I tend to work on that area the most - even if it hurts like h**l. I often begin to chuckle to myself when I start to hear things moving as I am massaging the area. Often when I have a bowel obstructions there will be no sounds, and sounds is what you want - that is good.

Sometimes it can take a few days. I've only had a few that didn't - for which I required surgery.

So you see - I handle my bowel obstructions quite effectively from home - there's nothing I can't do for myself that they would do in hospital. The only difference - I remain in control.

The only thing I would say to you is this - don't worry about something that as yet has to happen. When it happens - don't panic - do as much for yourself as you can - with your doctors help of course - and if you can't handle it anymore go to hospital and observe as much as you can - so that you learn for the next time. And if it starts happening as often as it happens to me you will be able to handle it. You are strong, stronger than you probably realise yourself.

And if you need to talk about stuff like bowel obstructions then talk to your friend Lin, ok? I've been there, done that, I go through my days with a lot of pain, and been very depressed and I've come out the other end and now I can smile and laugh again.

Take care of yourself,

--
Lin :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: