Re: Jo-Thanks

Wed Dec 5 18:19:12 2001

Hi Lisa

I am so glad that you already use some of the diversion therapies to help you cope with pain.  I also think your attitude to work is spot on!  You have managed to recognise that work maybe tiring for you, but it doesn't make your pain worse.  That is a great start to learning how to live with pain.  I call it "absorbing it into your being" accepting that it is not going away, and surgery at this point may make matters worse, so let's just get on with it!  Bravo Lisa!!

The chinese herbs you are using, did someone just suggest those particular ones because they are using them, or did you seek a consultation with a proper Chinese therapist?  The reason I ask this, is because we have had some experience with herbal therapies and Shane (my husband) and I recommend them, BUT only if your are seeing an experienced therapist, not one who has done a course over the internet or something like a six week training course!  Chinese traditional therapies are very effective IF they are being prescribed by a true practioner.

Shane's organs were slowly shutting down, he had the extreme symptoms of irritable bowel & went to our local therapist after a recommendation from the head of medicine at the hospital who was looking after Shane.  It was meant to be Lisa, because several of Shane's clients had given him a business card from this therapist, so we made an appointment.

After two months Shane had stopped taking all western medication and did not seek help from our "western family doctor".  His "formula or prescription" if you like was changed every four days, as Shane would visit the therapist and he would change it according to the symptoms Shane presented with on the day.  Shane's brother is a medical researcher and came across some recent studies and a paper on herbal therapies and their effectiveness.  The study showed three groups, the first group were taking what they thought was a herbal tablet, like a formula made up in western medicine style.  They were the control group to see how much this therapy relied on a persons "mind of matter" power.  The second group were given a "generic formula" which was the "basic & often used" herbs in IBS treatment.  The third group used the method that Shane used, visiting a reputable therapist at least once a week, where the formula was adjusted for each individual participant in the experiment....there were some very interesting results!

Out of the control group most reported a "slight" improvement but nothing significant, the second group had better results in the beginning of the therapy, but towards the end, they had found they had lost the effect, and were slipping back into the original symptoms that they presented with.  The third group showed significant changes and kept improving all the way though the treatment, however there were a few that started to slide backwards again, but did not go back to the bottom were they started to use the herbal therapy.

The style of therapy Shane was having was the third groups, as I said before the formula was changed at each visit according to the symptoms Shane presented with.  Now this is an expensive treatment and unfortunately not covered by any private medical insurance or public health either (within in Australia).

I would just like to say Lisa, please be careful when choosing a therapist for herbal treatments and ALWAYS let your doctor know if you are using herbal therapy, because some herbs can be dangerous when mixed with some western style medications, if you are having surgery, be sure to stop your herbal therapy at least 2 to 3 weeks before the surgery date.

I hope being back at work continues to be a positive move for you, because that is a really important part of coping with pain.  Being an active member out in the community both work and social will help keep you balanced and striving to keep your pain under control so that you can enjoy everyday life.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon

Love & gentle warm hugs

Jo (Australia)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: