Re: Bladder Problems

Wed Sep 5 07:28:32 2001

Hi Kel!!

I can explain to you the things that were explained to me about bladder incontinence by a "pelvic floor management team" at the Royal Hospital for Women in Sydney, Australia.

I have experienced most of the things you have listed and described with my bladder, these problems have gradually increased since my hystorectomy in Feb. 2000.

During the initial assessment and consultation at this clinic, the Gyno explained to me that women who live with "Chronic Pelvic Pain" experience bladder problems because the pelvic floor muscles constrict and tighten due to the pain. So instead of needing to do "pelvic floor excersises" to strengthen these muscles, we need to learn excersises to "relax" our pelvic floor muscles.

I like to refer to my pelvic floor muscles as "bionic"....hehehehe well I HAD to find something good about this strange set of circumstances! So our "bionic" muscles constrict & squeeze the bladder which triggers the "pain" & urgency to urinate. Our bladder is also like a balloon, so if it is covered in adhesions (mine is), then our bladder is restricted in the amount of urine that it can hold. I have had my bladder "stretched", but since then I have read that this is not very successful, and can be dangerous (i.e: danger of "tearing" the bladder).

My bladder capacity has been measured under anesthetic conditions, and it holds just 300mls. A normal female bladder under these conditions should hold at least a litre.

I am now in the process of setting up a series of appointments with the pelvic floor clinic, so that I can address my bladder incontinence & also to deal with my "pelvic pain" in general.

I hope this helps you, I wonder, have you had any tests to see if you have an infection? If the colour of your urine is dark then it could be an infection OR it could be a sign that you aren't drinking enough water. If your urine is reasonably clear, then you are obviouslly drinking enough. I have always been advised to drink plenty of water (at least 8 glasses per day), as this helps to "flush" your kidneys & it also assists in regular bowel movements.

Just remember Kel, that this is "second hand information" and you should check this info with your own doctor. Good luck, I hope you get some answers soon!

Love, hugs & cheers

Jo (wintering in Oz)

At Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Kelly Murray wrote: >
> Hi All,
> As some of you know I am almost 4 months pre-op from surgery in Pa.
> I still am having adhesion pain but I am trying to deal with it and praying that it will go away. HA!
> I had my bladder lifted the same time as the adhesion removal.
> My main problem besides the adhesion pain is urinary problems
> I would like to know if any of you have these certain problems:
> 1. I can almost fill the urine moving in my pelvic area.
> 2. I have symptoms of stress incontinence(I go through thick pads every day.)
> 3. I have a lot of bladder pain.
> 4. I have pain in the middle of my stomache then the urine comes out.
> 5. The urine odor has a very "acidic" odor rather then urine.
> 6. I have been doing Kegals but feel that there is another thing going on that Kegals will not help, as I don't think this is "stress incontinence."
> I am asking my fellow ARD pals for info. because I can't seem to get any answers any where else.
> I have had 2 IVP's in two years showing normal results.
> I started having bladder problems before my first adhesion removal 2 1/2 years ago.
> Does this sound like a "Fistula" or ?
> I E-mailed Dr. Redan and he suggested I go to a urologist.
> We have two urologists in my town and I have been to them. I do not want to travel out of town unless I have an idea what is going on because as you know, sometimes you have to suggest to the drs. what is wrong.
> I know that this thing has to be related to those darn old adhesions.
> I would appreciate any help with this.
> Kel

--
Positive Affirmation

Say this with your hands above your head (victory style) and repeat three times: I'm Alive I'm Alert I'm a LOT of fun!!

That should get you smiling!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: