Trying to understand Mom's condition...My response

Wed Aug 22 14:43:54 2001

Trying to understand Mom's condition

From: Jessica (NATIONALGOALS@PDQ.NET); Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:38:43 -0500 (CDT)

Jessica: I'm not quite sure that i'm even in the right place, but, here is my story.

My response: You are in the right place!

Jessica: On June 27 my mother had surgery for a carcinoid tumor in her stomach.

My response: I am so sorry to hear about this!

Jessica: Two weeks later she had surgery again for a bowel obstruction, which was successful. Two weeks later she had another surgery for a bowel obstruction. The surgery lasted for 8 hours and the doctor came up and told my family that there wasn't much that he could do because when he opened her up it was like her intestines were like "cement". He said he couldn't even get to the area that he thought the obstruction was because everything was like "cement".

My response: I have actually seen a video of intestines that were in this condition ( called a "frozen pelvis"); and it was unbelieveable what this lady's adhesions had done to her internal organs!! Her intestines were so covered with adhesions that it was a miracle that her surgeon could even locate her intestines without perforating her bowels or injuring her other organs.

Do you know what causes adhesions? Any blood left in the abdominal/pelvic cavity will cause adhesions - as well as any other foreign debris such as powder from the surgeon's gloves, guaze, and any other material that does not belong in the body.

When these foreign substances are not cleaned out completely, the body sends in its defense army to encapsulate (cover over) this material - which is the body's way of protecting itself!! This is a perfectly natural process!!

Jessica: Since that day, the doctor has many times told my father and myself that eventually, this would correct itself and then he can go in and clear up the obstruction.

My response: Unfortunately, this will NOT "correct itself"!!! And, if your mother were my mother, I would NOT let that surgeon operate on your mother again!! What has happened to your mother is "surgical negligence"!! Her surgeon failed to thoroughly clean all debris (especially the blood that resulted from the surgery!!) from her abdominal/pelvic cavity BEFORE he completed the surgery. (Sorry to be so blunt; but too many surgeons are causing their patients alot of mental anguish and debilitating pain; because they do not take the time necessary to do a thorough clean-up after surgery.)

There is only one surgeon, that I am aware of, who is using the correct techniques to PREVENT the formation of adhesions after a surgery - techniques such as microsurgery, clot evacuation, ringer's solution, etc. His name is Dr. Harry Reich. He is known to be the best laparoscopic surgeon in the world! He performs surgery at the Community Medical Center at Scranton, PA...and at St. Vincent's Hospital in New York. If you want more information about this very compassionate and dedicate surgeon, please let me know.

Jessica: He said that she may need to be in the hospital for 4 months until her intestines "come alive" again.

My response: I'm not sure what he means by "until her intestines 'come alive' again." These massive adhesions are NEVER going to go away on their own; and that is the truth!! Is she currently in the hospital? If not, is she experiencing alot of pain? Is she getting adequate pain medication?

Jessica: This is very confusing to me, so any information or any direction that i could be pointed in would be a great help to me. Thank You.

My response: I can understand why this would confuse you; because most doctors don't mention the word, ADHESIONS, to a patient, who is going to have surgery. The prospective surgical patient might decide NOT to have surgery, if the patient hears that adhesions are one of the risks of surgery. And this would NOT mean money in the surgeon's pocket.

If you have other concerns or questions, please let me know. I can provide you with accurate information about adhesion related disease (ARD).

In Friendship,

Helen Dynda

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: