Help me help you: Info so far:

Fri Jun 29 15:53:07 2001

Dear Everyone:

I have received a dozen responses to my request posted yesterday regarding the type of pain meds you are "permitted" to have and the excuses you are given if the doctor doesn't want to prescribe narcotics.

To date, virtually all of you have reported that "addiction"is the major concern for these prescribing doctors. You are on meds that are not effectively relieving your pain. Only 3 of you are on class 2 or narcotic agents. Oxycontin for one of you ,Codeine for one and LorTabs for one. (about as effective as codeine) Most of you are told that you do not need narcotics or that because of your risk for addiction the dangers outweigh the relief factor. (nice to know a doctor can determine this since he/she's not hurting)

All of you so far state that are unable to lead a normal, productive life. Unable to work. Cannot function as a normal human being.

Several of you have been advised to take Bufferin, Motrin or Advil and exercize daily!

According to "NIDA" (National Institute on Drug Abuse" ) "There is only a 0.03% chance that you will become addicted to narcotics if you are a legitimate pain patient." THAT EQUATES TO THREE HUNDREDTHS OF ONE PERCENT!!

Per the N.I.D.A. document: "There is a better thsn 99.99% chance that you will NOT become addicted to narcotics if your prescribing doctor gives you adequate and ONGOING opioid medication for your suffering."

According to a sudy done at the Northern Chesapeake Hospice in the late 1980's only F-O-U-R out of 12,000 patients became addicted to narcotics after bring treated for chronic pain.

I am especially interested in one letter from you that stated your doctor didn't want to prescribe narcotics now because "in five years there won't be anything left for you to take..." huh?

It appears that doctors are frightened of the implications involved with prescribing narcotics for chronic pain. The main reason is fear of FDA crackdown and investigation and possibly losing their license to practice medicine. The other major factor is fear of being "stuck" with a chronic pain patient who self medicates to the point where he or she demands more and more meds more frequently, placing the physician in a risky situation with regards to having to refill drugs too early for insurance coverage, and thus leading to investigation. It all seems to circle back to the doctor's fears for his or herself. NOT the patient.

I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO GO TO THE SITEs listed below AND PRINT OUT THE PAPER THAT THEY SUGGEST YOU TAKE TO SHOW YOUR DOCTORS WHEN YOU ARE DENIED NARCOTICS BECAUSE OF FEAR OF ADDICTION. IF YOU CANNOT FIND THAT PAPER, LET ME KNOW. I WILL MAIL YOU ONE.

1. skipb@widomaker.com

2. actiononpain.org

And PLEASE everyone who has not yet answered my several questions, I need your data so I can compile a thorough report to forward to the AMA and doctors who are refusing us adequate pain relief BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID FOR THEIR OWN HIDES.

YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A PAIN FREE LIFE. If you are not willing to fight for it, you will not get it.

Thanks everyine!

Hugs and love

ginny

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: