Lesa: Re: Pain Medication

Mon Jun 25 19:38:27 2001

I'm here in the back woods of Eastern Canada (New Brunswick), and up until a month ago I had been on nothing stronger than Ibuprofen for any length of time. I had been given several meds for IBS (Modulon, Buscopan, Levsin, and another one I can't remember the name of), none of which had any effect, except for the Modulon, which made the pain worse. I was also on Indocid suppositories, which I reacted to, and I was unable to retain them long enough for the drug to get into my system. When I got the point that 5000 mg of Ibuprofen a day wasn't even dulling the edge, I quit work and went back to my GP.

When I went in a month ago and told her I was no longer working due to the pain, she agreed to put me on 60 mg of Codeine daily, with 10 mg of Amitriptyline at bedtime to alter the way my brain perceives pain. I chucked the amitriptyline after two weeks when it was doing nothing but leaving me hungover and groggy the next morning. The codeine is not working to control the pain either, but I do have a follow-up appointment with her tomorrow morning. I am also waiting to hear back from the pain clinic, but it has been two months since I submitted my pain assessment form.

I'll let you know what the doctor has to say tomorrow.

Nancy in NB

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: