Re: ADHESIONS NEARLY TOOK MY HUSBANDS LIFE

Sun May 13 00:44:26 2001

Dearest Jamie,

I have been suffering from the effects of adhesions for over 14 years. My latest surgery was on April 9, so not long before your precious husband. I came through ok this time, it was a different story last year. I had to have surgery 5 days after my hystorectomy.

Jamie, this time I returned to hospital with a suspected blockage, but thank God, it cleared itself and I didn't require more surgery!. From what I gather from the adhesions board, bowels & blockages seem to be our main danger.

For me, it has been the support of family & friends who have got me through this, including people from the International Adhesions Society. I wish I had a magic formula that I could send you to help YOU and your husband heal.

Both my husband & I read your message on the board and we BOTH understood. It is he who has to sit in the waiting room while I sleep through the whole drama totally unaware that my hour surgery has turned into 4 or 5 hours....which has happened several times now instead of the half to hour procedure we were advised it would be.

You will get loads of support, and Helen Dynda and many others offer good practical advice too. My advice? Please read, ask questions and read some more....seek opinions....2nd 3rd....whatever it takes for you both to be happy with decisions you make about your husbands future health needs.

To keep my spirits going Shane (My wonderful, loving, dear dear husband), printed out all the messages he received just like this one I write to you and brought them to me in the hospital every day. An important breakthrough for adhesions sufferers is to discover is that we are NOT alone, there are others who understand our continuing pain and complicated repeated surgeries.

My reaction when I found this site? I cried.....buckets and buckets, Shane also shared some tears. How long did you cry for Jamie? We are here to support you, and your husband. What is his name? Many of us would love to include him in our daily prayers, his name makes it easier for us :-) and lets him now that we are mates. Jamie, I am an Australian, so you can see that adhesions is indeed a world wide problem, with luck, perhaps one of our fellow board members will live near you & will be able to offer you some extra support!

Welcome to the board Jamie, I know that you will receive help from many caring souls, Cheers & hugs, Jo

At Sat, 12 May 2001, JAMIE wrote: >
>I thought I would share my story with you all and would appreciate any
>feeback that I can get.
>
>On April 12, my husband was admitted into the hospital with an
>intestinal blockage. Previously, in 1993, he had a surgery to remove an
>intestinal blockage and so they figured that it was just scar tissue. He
>went into surgery on April 13th. Surgery went good. Until 2 weeks
>later when he had no bowel tones, we all thought everything was fine.
>
>Exactly 2 weeks from the first surgery, they took him in for a 2nd
>surgery. After waiting 8 hours in the waiting room, I was finally told
>my husband was out of surgery. The doctor came out and told me it was
>the worst adhesions he had ever seen. The surgery took 8
>HOURS......When my husband was brought to me, he was on life support.
>Not breathing on his own, heartrate of 170, temp of 105, blood pressure
>of 69/43. They said he probley would not make it thru the night. Well,
>it has now been over a month since the day he was admitted to the
>hospital for the first surgery. He has not even been outside in 31
>days. He is so extremely depressed that I am worried about him. The
>doctors are hearing bowel tones and are expecting him to go home soon,
>well a week or so.
>
>It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can give me some advice or
>anything. I hope nobody ever has to go through what he went through.
>And now hope this wont happen again. The doctors say that there is a
>chance that it will but in taking out 8 feet of the small intestine,
>they think he might get by okay.
>
>Sincerely
>
>--
>Jamie
>

--
You will never never know.......if you don't give it a go :)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: