We should all be equal.

Mon May 7 18:56:40 2001

Hi again Jean,

That's scary stuff Jean, like you say, you could have complications with a lap just the same. I don't know if you understand our system here in the UK, we have what is called the NHS (National Health Service) Our medical treatment is free to everyone who needs it. We are always complaining about it but I think I will have more respect for it in the future.

If we go into hospital for a lap surgery, we are in for 3 to 4 days and if we have open surgery we are in for 7 to 10 days. I guess everything changes when there is money involved. Some of the governments we have had have tried to push for private medical care but after reading about all the problems you seem to have with your insurance companies I hope we don't go down that road.

I had an operation done a few years ago on my leg and I decided to go private so that it would be done quicker. I had to pay for two nights just in case I needed it, but the next day after my op they said that I was ok and should go home. Like you I never saw a Dr while I was there. I will never take our healthcare system for granted again. It should be free for everyone to have healthcare whether you are rich or poor. Money should not come into it. We should all be equal.

I hope you are recovering and not doing to much too soon,

In Friendship Katherine Findlay United Kingdom Adhesion Society mailto:kath.findlay@adhesions.org.uk http://www.adhesions.org.uk

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf Of Jean Long Sent: 06 May 2001 02:51 To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: for Kath from UKAS from Jean

Kath, In the US they send you home really fast now-a-days.....I think it has to do with insurance or something. Things you use to stay in the hospital with for 5 days before are in and out or 1 or 2 days now! They don't kick you out, but make a point of telling you if you want you can go!

If I would have had a big incision I don't think I could have gone home this soon, NEVER did before......probably in 2 days (haha). I just had surgery yesterday at 2:00PM and went to recovery at 3:30 and came home at 9:00PM! Nurses didn't even get to know me in my room and I was leaving. They use to take out stitches before you went home...not any more!!

I had it laproscopically this time and he originally told me probably 2 days but changed it. This is new to me because I never had laproscopy before. Allot of people there went home right away.....nurse said they don't like to keep them the week-end! Sometimes I think it is dangerous to send people home that fast cause if you were to have complications or infection etc. it will happen at home now instead of in a hospital like before.....but then again the hospitals are under-staffed and not too safe anymore!! We have a shortage of nurses in the US! Jean . . .

** The greatest Gift of all ......... is the gift of love**

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: