Re: what to do? long

Sat May 5 06:41:36 2001

Chris, Sorry to hear about your surgery being cancelled......boy that was not very nice of them to wait until "after" you already did the bowel prep! It is nice of your surgeon to decide he wants another doctor in on the case for your benefit but they could have thought of that "before" all the preparations were done.

I'm a little puzzled about needing a cancer doctor for adhesions, is there another reason for this?

As far as being scared that is to be expected, I was too and I have had 18 surgeries so you wouldn't think I would be anymore! The best thing is to keep your mind off of it and keep your mind occupied if you can. I have a computer business at home and was very busy up until I left for surgery but it helped keep my mind occupied. I couldn't walk etc. but I could sit (on certain chairs anyway). I had to figure out what I was capable of doing without aggravating the pain and after I did I was able to re-open my business (from a chair).

Have you tried a heating pad?......I slept on a full-body heating pad for almost a year and that also helped allot.

It has to be hard with small children (mine are adults) but hopefully your husband can take care of the major things with them and you could just play games with them or something not involving moving around. It would occupy your mind and give you the interaction with them. This is assuming you can sit for awhile anyway.

I JUST HAD SURGERY this afternoon (Friday at 2:00) and here I am on the computer!! I didn't think I would be home already, let alone on the computer!!

I don't know how they will be doing your surgery but this is the first time I had my adhesions (or anything else) done laproscopically and what a difference! There was no reason for me to be afraid and I am already glad I had it done. I'm not sure yet since my belly feels like someone was punching me but "I think" I can walk without increasing my pains now. I had butt, hip & leg pain in addition to abdominal pains. I had the hip revised 2 times last year for suspected infection and a cyst removed and still had the pains, so this was my 4th surgery in less than a year and I think (and hope) this may be the one that did it for me!! I survived and believe me I was thinking the worse...cancer and everything else but here I am.

Don't get me wrong, of course with every surgery there are risks, but if you get (or have) a good doctor or doctors the risks are greatly reduced.

I have been disabled for the past 1-1/2 years and couldn't even walk, twist, bend or stand without greatly increasing my pain so I definitely know what that is like. It is terrible that we have to live & suffer like that but at least we have friends on this board to help us through it.

As far as the infection of the incision, I also went through that when I had my 1st child C-Section. I had 17 surgeries since and haven't had that happen again so the odds were really good (for me anyway).....I better knock on wood since I just had surgery today!! I didn't have the doctor who I got the infection with for any of my other surgeries .

Is the same doctor doing this surgery? Did he give you a reason why you got infection or why you already have a remnant? I also had cysts on my ovaries years ago with adhesions adhering the ovaries to my bowel and vagina but they never came back and in fact until today I had gone 12 years since my last abdominal surgery. Have you thought of having a new doctor perform this surgery, maybe that would eliminate some of your fears from the last surgery?

Whenever you need to vent or have some reassurance and compassion we are here for you. We have all been there and understand how you feel. You may also email me directly anytime you wish at creative@enter.net.

Good luck with your surgery! Jean . . .

** The greatest Gift of all ......... is the gift of love**

>----- Original Message -----
From: "chris" <mclainc@uswest.net> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2001 12:16 AM Subject: what to do? long

Hello Everyone, I have not wrote in a while but I read everyday. I ham having a hard time and really do not know what to do. I have had 5 surgeries so far, I suffer from adhesions and ovarian remnant.My last surgery was Dec8,2000 and it was for ovarian remnant, within 2 months I found out I had it again and I have a cyst that is causing really bad pain, the doctor decided it was time to remove it again. So I was suppose to have had surgery Thursday,but at the last minute they could not do it, so it was cancelled(I was mad I had to do bowel prep). The surgery is suppose to be Tuesday May8, and I am scared to death. I am on MS contin for the pain but it does not help the pain. I know if they can get the piece I would have alot less pain, but the risk with surgery are scaring me so bad. The doctors cancelled the first surgery so that they could get a cancer doctor involved because of the adhesions.My husband thinks that surgery is a good idea because I don't do anything and I have a hard time just taking care of my 2 kids and I have a really hard time doing anything.Also after the last surgery my incision got infected and had to be reopened and I was put in the hospital 3 days and then I got another infection and had to have another surgery and spent another 3 days in the hospital. I know no one can tell me what to do but if anyone has any positive words I really needs some...this is really hard right now...thanks for listening, it really helps to be able to express myself and know people understand..........Chris

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: