adhesions or hernia?

Thu Jan 25 20:42:44 2001

Hello, I am new to this forum, but have found that I have a lot of the symptoms that are being described. I have had pain in the left lower quadrant and groin for over a year now. Initially they thought it was a hernia because it radiates down my left leg. Then when on to find I had 3 left ovarian cysts. They supposedly went away on their own, but still had pain and a full sensation in that area. My gyn suggested a laparoscopy which found that I had endo (said it was not severe), my ovary and tube were attached to the bowel also, these were lysed. Then the gyn suggested Lupron for the endo, this is a medication that puts you into a "medical menopause" in order to stop estrogen production thus stopping endo growth. I had five shots and still experienced the pain in the left side, however, no period symptoms such as the pain and bloating and cramping. After she put me on the pill, which I do not tolerate, so needless to say, I stopped. Still having the pain she sent be back to the general surgeon and we were at the hernia thing again, however, he could not feel a bulge, but says this is classic groin/thigh pain for a hernia. My periods have resumed since the Lupron has stopped and they are worse than ever, stomach distension, cramping, diarrhea, constipation, etc. Called the gyn again and she said again that she could fix my periods, but the diarrhea and constipation and pain I would have to see the family doc. Did that, he says he thinks it's gyn related, until he talked to her and then they sent me BACK to the surgeon who I saw today. He still thinks hernia, but also is thinking gyn. Have pain and burning sensation, that is low to into the abdomen, hurts more with standing, lifting any activity. Also have pain in the labia. I have scheduled an appointment with a new gyn that I am seeing on wednesday. The general surgeon is suggesting another lap from the gyn, but also suggested that he sit in on the surgery and then do a regular surgery to r/o a hernia (that is the only way to find out if it is indeed hernia, no diagnostic test to determine this!). Needless to say, I am fed up with going from dr. to dr. The pain interferes with everyday life and is taking a toll on my mental and physical health. Not to mention I am unbearable to live with at times (don't know how my husband does it). I am beginning to think I am crazy. I have no problem with the repeat lap, but the actual hernia surgery to r/o that problem is bothering me. Anyone else have pain in the thigh, labia groin. The pain has been localized in the left lower quadrant for over a year with the exception of the period pain. Also don't think I've come all the way out of the Lupron, still have some hot flashes, no sex drive at all, very moody (of course that could be because of all of this frustration as well). Anyway, didn't mean to drag on...but I need to talk to someone else who has this pain, until you have it you just don't understand. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.... Karen

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: